Post-Bid Day Blues

Let's sum up an in-person bid day for some of the new members that went through recruitment this year. (cue the dreamlike glissando in the back)

You've just gone through recruitment, also known as the most stressful weekend of your life. It's around 4PM, and you gather with your pi chi group one last time. Your pi chi hands you an envelope with your name on it, and tells you not to open it until they say so. You start to zone out and think that the time will never come, but you hear a "OPEN YOUR CARD" and snap out of your dream-like state.

You grab at the envelope and rip open the top flap, only to see a signed bid card to your top house, (let's call it Alpha Sigma Apple Pie). You shriek with delight and find some of your friends that you met during recruitment, only to see that they are now your lifelong sisters of Alpha Sigma Apple Pie.

You start to sprint back to Greek Row, and just as your breath starts to get heavy and you want to stop, you see it in the distance: the Alpha Sigma Apple Pie castle, with active members scattered across the lawn, holding signs with names and goodie bags.

You run harder and faster, and see everyone dressed in red, black, and checkers. An active runs up to you, someone you know and talked to during recruitment, and quite literally squeezes the life out of you while screaming about how excited she is that you finally joined the Alpha Sigma Apple Pie girl gang (ah yes the bid day theme).

Let's switch back to the reality of this situation. Even though bid day was online this year, I'm hoping that you did end up finding your forever home. I know that it was hard, not getting to run home, or even have recruitment in person, but joining a sorority is what you make of it. It's not just the decked-out houses, goodie bags, or spray-on glitter that always ends up on your body for bid day, but it's what you make of it. Even though things are looking a little different this year, always remember that you get what you put out of this once-in-a-lifetime sorority experience.