Biblical Promises In Sickness

Biblical Promises In Sickness

What does the Bible promise us regarding temporary or permanent illness?

21
Biblical Promises In Sickness
Anna Gutermuth

It’s that time of year again -- the time of sickness! Whether it’s a temporary condition like a cold or the flu, or a more permanent blight, such as depression or anxiety, God wants us to know what He promises us in His Word regarding sickness and healing.

“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5

Jesus died on the cross for us, so we have the privilege to receive the benefit of healing through the shedding of His precious blood.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28.

When a cold attacks, your head pounds and all you want to do is lie down and never get up. Or if you suffer from anxiety, all you want is to feel relief for five minutes from that nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach. The Lord promises us rest. True rest! Rest that we cannot comprehend because we’re humans.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19.

He will meet all our needs. Not just some of our needs, all of them!

“Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me.” Psalm 30:2

The Psalmist confirms it. God healed him! All we have to do is call upon His name and He will heal us!

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3.

Jesus is the Great Physician! He not only heals what is physically wrong with us, but he heals the hurts in our hearts!

Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the eldersof the church to pray over them and anoint them with oilin the name of the Lord.And the prayer offered in faithwill make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.” James 5:14-15

James gives us direct instructions for how to go about being ill. We are to go to our elders and have them pray over us. We can never doubt the power of prayer! The Lord promises that what we ask, we shall receive, if we believe that we will receive it. (Mark 11:24.)

Don’t be afraid to go boldly in front of the throne during this season of emotional and physical illnesses. The Lord will heal you!