best songs of January 2019

19 Of The Best Songs Of January 2019

Because "I'm still dancing at the end of the day."

159
19 Of The Best Songs Of January 2019

There's always new music coming out. A lot of music goes unnoticed because the songs are by unknown artists. Sometimes these are absolutely amazing songs that don't get the recognition they deserve. I use Apple Music, and there are multiple up-and-coming playlists which is where I find new music from. Some of the said playlists include "Up Next," "Best of the Week," "The Beats 1 List," "Future Hits," and "Today's Hits." I personally love all genres of music, so this list includes hip-hop, R&B, alternative, pop, and yes, even a little country. Some of the songs were released in 2018, but they're still up and coming currently! There are songs on here for everyone, so check 'em out.

1. "Juice" // Lizzo

"If I'm shiny, everybody gonna shine. I was born like this, don't even gotta try. I like Chardonnay, get better over time. Heard you say I'm not the baddest b*tch, you lie."

This song just puts you in a good, self-confident mood. It's amazing.

2. "Nights Like This" // Kehlani

"On some nights like this, I just wanna text you, but for what? You gon' say you want me then go switch it up."

Many people can relate to this line. When you're really interested in someone, but they're only interested in you when they feel like it. That shit hurts.

3. "Been A While" // 6LACK

"Might want you but I find peace knowing I don't need you."

PREACH 6lack. This song is smooth and badass as f*ck.

4. "Light On" // Maggie Rogers

"And if you're gone for good then I'm okay with that."
"I'm still dancing at the end of the day."

This song literally feels like sunlight is coming out of the speakers. I love it.

5. "Knees" // Bebe Rexha

"If I'm not all you need, then just set me free [...] If you're not the one for me, then just let me be."

This song is one of those sad songs that doesn't make you sad. It gives you the strength to realize that you deserve more than someone who doesn't truly want you.

6. "Movement" // Hozier

"When you move, I'm moved."

This song makes you want to dance around the kitchen at 2 am with the love of your life.

7. "7 Rings" // Ariana Grande

"I've been through some bad shit, I should be a sad b*tch."
"Rather be tied up with calls and not strings."

Ariana decided that she wanted to drop songs when she had something to say, instead of waiting to release the songs on a whole album. Her most recent singles include the popular "Thank U, Next," and "Imagine." "7 Rings" is my personal favorite out of the three. I absolutely LOVE Ariana's bad b*tch energy, I don't need any love songs this year!

8. "Wow." // Post Malone

"It's a moment when I show up, got 'em sayin', 'Wow.'"

This is one of those songs that I ugly, and probably unsafely, dance to in the car. If this song doesn't put you in a good mood then nothing will.

9. "Swan Song" // Dua Lipa

"What is the reason of doing nothing at all, watching it fall?"

According to Genius.com, "a swan song is a person's last piece of work, achievement, or performance." In Dua Lipa's song, she sings about how this song is NOT a swan song. Her work not only in music but in fighting for social justice as well continues strongly. Dua Lipa is my favorite.

10. "Girls Need Love" // Summer Walker

"Girls can't never say they want it, girls can't never say how, girls can't never say they need it, girls can't never say now."

Males are often seen as the only gender that can freely ask for sex. Females, on the other hand, are oversexualized in society, but when they talk about wanting sex they're seen as a slut. Summer Walker sings about how girls need sex too and they should be able to ask for it without being judged.

11. "Moderation" // Florence + The Machine

"Want me to love you in moderation? Do I look moderate to you?"
"Little girl, who do you think you are? You think you need it, you think you want love."

This song is one that many girls can relate to. Often when we love, we love with our all or nothing. For some people, this love can be overwhelming. Florence Welch sings about how she is not someone who can lessen her love, or in other words, moderate it. Find someone who appreciates your abundance of love, instead of trying to make it smaller.

12. "Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it" // Lana Del Rey

"Don't ask if I'm happy, you know that I'm not. But at best, I can say I'm not sad."

This is a song you listen to when you're laying in bed at night. It makes you think of people who've wronged you in the past, the broken parts of yourself that you've tried to leave behind, and the awareness that hope can lead to disappointment.

13. "Lost in the Fire" // Gesaffelstein & The Weeknd

"I'm tired of being home alone. I used to have a girl a day, yeah I want you to stay."

The Weeknd sings about how a lot of love and time together was lost when he and Bella Hadid broke up. He was a player for a long time, but after time apart he realized he's ready to settle down with only her.

14. "Don't Feel Like Crying" // Sigrid 

"I know I should be ordering takeout, sitting on my couch, that's what you do. I know I should be all in my feelings, staring at the ceiling."

This is the breakup song that every girl didn't know she needed until now. Sometimes after being hurt, you feel like going out and just living life. Not all pain needs to be mended by staying in.

15. "GIRL" // Maren Morris

"Man, this shit's unflatterin', all up in my head again. I don't feel myself right now."

This song is so comforting because it reminds you that it's okay to have bad days. Everything will be okay.

16. "Genius" // LSD

"Oh my god, baby baby don't you see-e-e, I got everything you ne-e-ed. O-only a genius could love a woman like she."

This song features Lil Wayne, Sia, Diplo, & Labrinth. It's a straight-up masterpiece.

17. "Dancing with a Stranger" // Sam Smith & Normani

"Look what you made me do, I'm with somebody new."

This song is about not wanting to be alone for the night, but also not being able to stop thinking about someone you used to be with. You're not over them, but you're lonely so you dance with strangers to fill that void.

18. "Middle Child" // J. Cole

"I just poured somethin' in my cup, I've been wantin' somethin' I can feel."

Many people use alcohol or some other form of distraction to temporarily feel, but the truth is that those distractions usually just leave you feeling empty.

19. "when the party's over" // Billie Eilish

"Call me friend but keep me closer, and I'll call you when the party's over."
"But nothing is better sometimes, once we've both said our goodbyes. Let's just let it go."

We've all had that person who we go to after going out. The person we can get affection from when we're feeling alone. It's a little more than friends, but nothing much more than that. It's easy to hit up someone when you're lonely. What's hard is having nothing, but having nothing is healthier than being someone's "sometimes."

If you're in love, broken-hearted, or just feeling yourself, there are new songs out for all of those moods so check 'em out!