Perhaps the only thing that I love about school is buying school supplies. There is something almost magical about opening a fresh pack of pencils or flipping through the smooth pages in a brand-new planner. Whatever it may be, school supplies are ubiquitous in stores and the same applies for Amazon.

Called AmazonBasics, Amazon's branch into the school supply world has not only been super accessible but also full of quality items. Their inventory is large, and because it is the beginning of the new year and a new semester, here are the top five school supplies on AmazonBasics to take advantage of.

1. AmazonBasics Chisel Tip Highlighers

These highlighers are lightweight, slim, and brightly pigmented. In my honest opinion, they are better than any big-name highlighters out there now. For the quality and quantities, these AmazonBasics highlighters are a steal.

2. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip

A must-have for any dorm, this AmazonBasics surge protector is awesome and really, really cheap. I have this one in my dorm and it has yet to break, spaz, and otherwise fail on me.

3. AmazonBasics File Folders, Letter Size

File folders always come in handy whether or not you use them regularly. AmazonBasics sells these colorful ones in a 100-pack for half the price of that of other stores.

4. AmazonBasics Heavy Weight Ruled Index Cards, 3x5

I use notecards religiously, and these ones are not only thick (but not too thick) but also good quality. Plus, you get 300 of these at once which covers more than two classes.

5. AmazonBasics 13-Inch Felt Laptop Sleeve

Almost every student has a laptop, and thus, almost every student must need a laptop sleeve to protect it. This one by Amazon is perfect and fits most standard laptops out there.