The Best Fictional Boyfriends That Exist On-Screen But Not In Real Life

5 Of The Best Fictional Boyfriends That TV And Movies Can Offer, But Real Life Can't

Peter Kavinsky has become a new obsession after his movie debut, portrayed by Noah Centineo.

116

After watching the new Netflix hit, "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," it got me thinking back to all the boys I've loved. No, none of them are actually real, so I might be suffering from Lara Jean's fantasy syndrome, however, art is a reflection of life. So, when am I going to be seeing their real-life counterparts? This is for the ones that I've loved beyond just the outer surfaces (though some of them, my God, are so hot).

Here's to all the boys I've loved and a wish that maybe I'll meet someone as good as they are in my real life.

1. Peter Kavinsky, "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"

Peter Kavinsky

Ah yes, the man of the hour... the crush for the new millennium. Peter Kavinsky has become a new obsession after his movie debut, portrayed by Noah Centineo. Unlike other guys in the past, he's not reticent or moody. He's not a closed off crush that's become the object of some ill-placed affection. Though his and Lara Jean's relationship predicated upon a façade, he actually felt genuine affection for her. He talked to her, even about difficult subjects like his father's absence and her mother's death. He took the time to get to know her sister and charm her father.

Peter didn't publicly shame her when the letters were sent that explained her affection for him. He did come to her defense when the infamous video of them making out was released. Plus, imagine him giving you a bear hug, like look at him. His willingness to be vulnerable is amazing, "'Let's do it fucking for real, Lara Jean. Let's go all in. No more contract. No more safety net. You can break my heart. Do whatever you want with it."

2. Dave Rygalski, "Gilmore Girls"

Dave Rygalski and Lane Kim

Even though my love runs deep for Jess Mariano, Dave Rygalski was the best boyfriend on the series, bar none. Many had their merits, even the unpopular ones (Christopher, Dean), but none were as perfect as Dave Rygalski. This possibly could stem from the fact that he's played by Adam Brody, who plays the one and only Seth Cohen on The OC. Both characters are very awkward at life and find their voice through other venues, music, and comics, respectively. They love the ones that they are with and fight to have them. For Dave, no other guy would ever deal with Mrs. Kim the way he does. He keeps up with the insane plans that Lane comes up to hide her double life, but he also stands up to Mrs. Kim in a respectful manner.

No one can ever match his declaration of affection and request for permission to take Lane to the prom. Dave put up with Mrs. Kim. Willing to put up with your family and a difficult one at that is worth a big plus. As for Seth, his awkward sarcastic nature never fails to make me feel less alone as he navigates the scary world of social interaction. If you need someone to stand up for your or face down your worst fears, play guitar for you and your family, or come up with an escape plan, go with Dave Rygalski. He was willing to read the Bible cover to cover all in one night just to impress Lane's mom because, "really, really want[s] to take your daughter to the prom."

3. Jess Mariano, "Gilmore Girls"

Jess Mariano and Rory Gilmore

Jess Mariano… the obsession with Milo Ventimiglia begins here. Yes, Jess had his faults. There is no doubt. But he still was an amazing guy. There was a depth to his character. He connected with Rory like no other guy did. I don't think they should have ended up together, but I do believe he was the best of her guys. Jess was brought up in a terrible household with a drug addict mother who probably had guys in and out all the time. Though it is never directly spoken, he probably was abused, if not physically then emotionally and mentally. But he still never was as bad as they portrayed him.

For the town of Stars Hollow, he was a hooligan off the street. But for a kid in that situation, he did what? A couple of pranks like stealing a gnome and some pennies, creating a fake crime scene. If the town could forgive Rory for cheating with Dean and stealing a yacht, his indiscretions pale in comparison. His moodiness and lack of communication with Rory were a problem, but he also grew into a person who didn't need to fight. In season 2 he started random fights with guys, but even after he was baited by Logan in season 6, he just left and let it sit like that. He worked at a publishing company and became a stabilizing force for Rory, telling her to find her purpose again when she quit Yale and couldn't make it as a journalist. Plus, there's no one better to read with or just "walk around or sit on a bench and stare at our shoes."

4. Chandler Bing, "Friends"

Chandler Bing and Rachel Green

The sarcasm king, the lovely bundle of nerves and desperation, Chandler Bing. He arrives as second to last, #2 ("whose #2, the more interesting game that sewage workers play"). Since I first watched "Friends," I never wavered on who my favorite character was. Chandler was awkward, self-loathing, and never quite sure of himself, all things I relate to. His sarcasm and one-liners were always out of the park ("I'm not great at the advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"). On the other hand, he knew his friends so well, being able to manipulate them when he wanted to, like when he got them all fighting over their own annoying tendencies. But he will protect and support anyone when they need it, as seen by his amazing bromance with Joey.

Also, as Monica's significant other, he was never just her boyfriend, he was her partner, her teammate, and her best friend (something that was always lost amongst the arguing of Ross and Rachel). He was afraid of commitment, but with Monica, he talked her down off her high-maintenance side (the same side I have). He also had a plan for his family, picturing their house, kids, pet, and room for Joey. And when their dreams were in jeopardy, he fought to get her the baby she wanted so much, but couldn't birth herself. He grew so much over the series and found his own happiness in work. Who wouldn't want someone who says, "I love my wife more than anything in this world. And it… it kills me that I can't give her a baby. I really want a kid. And when that day finally comes, I'll learn how to be a good dad. But my wife? She's already there. She's a mother without a baby."

5. Jack Pearson, "This Is Us"

Jack and Rebecca Pearson

My one, my only, my favorite. The dream dad and husband. The perfectly imperfect person. I can never say enough praise for Jack Pearson. There is nothing more precious to him than his wife and his children. No matter what happens, he is there. If there is a happy event, he's there cheering. If there's a problem, he jumps into action and tries to solve it. He readily shows his love for them. He's not without his demons and is an alcoholic, coming from a bad family and a father who was also an alcoholic. But his desire to protect his family helps him quit by himself first, and then get through AA.

When Randall wasn't going to be able to go to a school that will help him, he gave up his dream of starting his own company. When Kate was being bullied he gave her the shirt off his own back and wove her tales of comfort. When Kevin broke his leg, he told him that he realized his purpose when he saw him. When it comes to Rebecca, he always shows her affection, through grand gestures or daily words of love. There's a magic about him. And when his house and family were in danger because of a fire, he leaped into action and protected them. He just didn't protect himself, because he always saw other things as more important than himself, including the family possessions and Kate's dog.

I could never exhaust the reasons I love him, but he's a fighter, he's a lover, he's always there and I know that. "I just keep thinking about my wife and how I just to get home to her, hang out with her, make sure she's okay. Which is crazy because she's at her absolute worst right now. I mean, like exorcist level bad. But I still don't want to escape her. Or my future vomiting, crap-riddled kids. I just, I want more time with them. I want to freeze time with them, so that I can get a little bit more."