To My Best Friend AKA My Dog

To My Best Friend AKA My Dog

I miss him lots

11
To My Best Friend AKA My Dog
Gina Kelley

Dear Burney,

We got you when I was just 8 years old and the first time I pet you your leg did that funny dog thing when it goes up and down like a bunny rabbit’s. You were the sweetest little thing but somehow in my memory we didn’t become best friends for awhile. You weren’t always the most well-behaved dog. Let us never forget the Christmas you ate the tree, the presents and mom’s stocking. But after awhile you began sleeping in my bed every night and you became my favorite dog/person/companion. You became the most well-behaved, vocal, and loving dog a family could ever ask for. You like to lick all of our hands until we yell at you. You love the balls that have a squeaker in the center and little feet. You have always sat by my side when I’m sick or sad and even watched movies with me all day. You always beg for treats, and still try to get bread and salami whenever you can. You have let me cry on you (quite literally) and let me hug, cuddle and kiss you. You truly have been my best friend for 10 years.

You are such a grumpy old man now (you kind of always were but now that you have the age to back you up it’s ridiculous). I’m sorry that you no longer get to sleep in my bed every night. It makes me a little sad everytime I come home and the white fur has spread a little bit more down your neck and long your back. It makes me sad to see how hard it is now for you to jump on my bed and how tired you get after playing fetch. I know you aren’t a puppy anymore and I’m sad that I don’t get to be with you everyday as you get older. But I promise that mom keeps me updated on all your antics at home. You are still my “most handsomest boy” and the “best stinks” in the world. I love you so much and even though I had to leave to go to school, I hope that you know that I am always thinking of you.

I love you with all my heart and I will be home soon handsome,

Gina Kaye