Best Books For Winter

10 Books To Read On a Snowy Day That'll Transport You Right Out Of The Winter Blues

Sharing my most favorite ones!

42
Reading

I learned to read at the age of three. I vaguely remember the process. Sometimes I have the feeling that I could read from birth. Even in my earliest memories, I already knew how to read. For many years my favorite activity was to lie in bed and trip into fictional worlds. I still remember how my school friend gave me the first book of "Harry Potter." Later I read it at least 15 times.
If you want to experience the same feeling, then this article is for you.

Arkadiy and Boris Strugatsky — "Roadside Picnic"

After contact with aliens on Earth, there are six anomalous zones, where the laws of physics work differently than elsewhere. Access there is prohibited, but thieves who have appeared clandestinely take out various items from it and sell them on the black market.

Franz-Kafka — "Transformation"

My acquaintance with Kafka began with this story. The plot is absurd, but in spite of fantastic circumstances, can really be brought to life. It all starts with that one morning, when a young man, Gregor, wakes up and realizes that he is a huge bug.

Leo Tolstoy — "Anna Karenina"

This book has been my favorite for a long time. I am fascinated by this story which is about how difficult it is for a woman to live while enclosed in a cruel social framework.

John Tolkien — "The Lord of the Rings"

I think everyone already knows what place this book owns in modern literature. By the way, the most famous fantasy work.

Erich Maria Remarque — "All Quiet On The Western Front"

A book that forever changed my idea of war as something heroic and beautiful. For a few days after reading it, I could not watch or read anything else because I really lived the story of the narrator.

Daniel Keese — "Flowers for Algernon"

A sad and very catchy story about how a mentally disordered floor cleaner agrees to participate in a scientific experiment to improve his intelligence.

Margaret Atwood — "The Handmaid's Tale"

The book is artistic but it is terrifying that such a scenario is, in principle, very likely in our real lives. It is a dystopia that in the future only some women will be capable of having children, and with the theocratic dictatorship coming to power, the state forces fertile women to give birth by force.

Stephen King — "Measteries"

A popular writer gets into a car accident. A dedicated fan saves him, but salvation turns into a nightmare.
Very exciting plot and psychologically accurate narration, in the best spirit of King.

Vladimir Nabokov — "Lolita"

For most people, this book is a story of real love, but I do not think that Humbert loved his young mistress. He loved himself and his desires, and Lolita was used only as an instrument for their fulfillment. Sad but exciting story.

Stephen King — "Cristina"

I would never think that the main character of a horror story would be a car.