The Benefits Of A Summer Job

It's Possible To Gain Something From Every Summer Job You Take, Even If It's Not Your First Choice

Work is work.

22
Cliff Lawson Photography

I've had two summer jobs prior to my current one.

The first? Customer service representative at a call center.

The second? Landscaping and lawn service.

Need I remind you what my major(s) are again? Oh yes, (musical) theatre and English. Can't exactly use either of those for my resume.

Fortunately enough, this summer, I'm actually performing. Over the course of practically my entire sophomore year of college, I prepared to audition for a pre-screening as well as an expensive, high-stakes audition in front of over 70 professional performance companies.

Months ago, I didn't anticipate a second glance from the adjudicators when I stepped up for my 90-second audition. And now, I'm writing this piece from my summer apartment in the Texas panhandle.

It might be the last place you'd expect great theatre to be taking place, but not only am I fulfilling my paid contract for a full three month period, but I am taking advantage of the opportunity to perform in two other professional credits affiliated with community and collegiate organizations. I didn't see myself here last summer, the beginning of the school year, or even just a few months ago. And I certainly can't predict my whereabouts and business about 300 days from now.

I remember when summers used to be filled with endless availability, the stretching hours of each day, and the afternoons spent being babysat by grandparents. Now, my weeks feel just as booked as if I were mid-semester.

The relaxation, if any, is not quite the same. It's always sort of looking forward. As soon as I'm finished here mid-August, I move back home and pack right back up for Lexington to get started on yet another show on the University of Kentucky's mainstage.

I have absolutely no complaints. The future is just that much more enticing when you look back at how much has changed in such a limiting amount of time.

I'm really quite proud when things start falling, not necessarily into place and definitely not into my lap, but falling down just within my reach so that I can see that I am capable of attaining them, and, of course, choosing wisely enough to end up doing what I truly want.

Not everyone in their respective field–and especially not in mine–are able to find employment that will best suit their career paths at first. Though I wish hard work and immense amounts of hoping and praying would be guaranteed in landing one their dream job(s), not everything always turns out that way.

I think a lot of it has to do with persistence and drive, but sometimes I just feel lucky enough to be where I am. By no means do I land everything I put myself out there for, but what's essential is trying for everything that I can. Usually something, just something will stick, and it benefits me in some way.

Just as I started off out-of-field and feeling quite out of place with my first two summer gigs, I can still safely say I took something from each. And, right now, I'm fortunate enough to guess the same thing will happen here.