You Don't Have To See It To Believe It, Color Blindness Is Real

Can we really see clearly now that the rain is gone?

47
We Are Cinematic

Recently, the south has entered turmoil. This past week alone there has been three high-profile civilian shootings: Alton Sterling, Philando Castile and the last name, which has yet to be announced but happened in Houston. There was also another shooting where a civilian shot officers.

These shootings have sparked racial tensions. For many non-minorities, there has been shock. They are appalled that racism is still around. Some going even far to deny that it exists, thus leaving minorities baffled and confused. It’s almost like we are living in two different worlds: one without prejudice and one filled with it. So who is right here? We both are. Yes, America, there is such a thing where two people can be right.

Non-minorities, you’re right. Racism hardly exists in your world. It doesn’t exist to you because you don’t experience it. Yes, I am well aware that all races are subject to racism, but statistically speaking minorities usually are exposed more to racism.

Being a Minority, I can surely testify that racism is prevalent in my world. I have grown up with it all around me.

At 5 years old, I was told by friends I couldn’t play with them because my hair didn’t flow in the wind like theirs or my skin didn’t match theirs.

At 13, I was constantly told “I can’t believe you do gymnastics, it’s a white sport.”

At 14, I was given the nick-name “Oreo,” meaning black on the outside but white on the inside. Thus implying I “act” white, as this was some type of compliment because minorities couldn’t possibly be articulate and well-educated.

At 16, I was told that I should stick to dating my own race. I was also told that interracial relationships were disgusting.

At 18, I was told that I only got into college because I was African American, not because I was an honor student with multiple extra-curricular activities.

At 19, I logged onto Facebook, only to see my race being called racial slurs and worthless. I logged on to see that I am playing the victim and racism doesn’t exist.

Yeah, they are right. Racism doesn’t exist in their world, but in my world, it’s fully alive. It’s constantly surrounding me. I have to worry how I carry myself every day. I have to make sure I’m not being too loud because I could be perceived as “ghetto” and not just being a loud person. I have to control my emotions; I can get angry but not too angry. If I get too angry then I’m the “angry black woman,” and not just an upset person.

See, just because you don’t see it in your world, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. America is suffering from an epidemic called Color Blindness. We have become blind to the fact that racism exists, but why aren’t we blind to other stuff? For example, let’s look at cancer. Cancer is a nasty disease that has taken many lives in America. See, some people will live their lives Cancer free—but would they walk up to a cancer survivor and tell them cancer doesn’t exist simply because they’ve never experienced it? Or would you tell the cancer survivor to stop playing the victim, because they had cancer a long time ago? My point is, just because you don’t experience it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. In no way or shape or form am I saying Racism and cancer are on the same level? I am just so desperate to get people to understand and listen.

Listen to us when minorities use the hashtags: #GayPride, #MinoritiesLifeMatter or #BlackLivesMatter. We aren’t saying our life is more important than any other. We are saying that due to the injustices and inequalities we have been exposed to in our communities that we are humans too.

Racism is alive whether you want to face it or not. You cannot be blind to the fact that it doesn’t exist, tensions are too high for this. I understand, racism can be an uncomfortable topic for some but it’s time to have “the talk.” Instead of telling minorities to be quiet, ask them to speak up.

America needs to realize not everything is so one-sided. You can believe in the equality of minorities and still be pro-authority. You can support the Black Lives Matter movement and still mourn the deaths of the officers in Dallas. You can go most of your life without experiencing racism, but admit it exists. This goes for any minority community that is suffering inequalities. The problems that minorities face, may not directly affect your life, but they exist.

There is no need for it to be two different worlds. We need to become one and stop living in two different worlds. We are The United States of America. We are supposed to be one united force, so let's start acting like it.