Why Gen Z's 'OK Boomer' Culture Needs To Be Canceled

Our Generation's Obsession With Being Woke And Canceling Boomers Helps No One

It had to be said eventually.

223

I wasn't originally going to go on and on about Generation Z's infamous "woke" dilemma, including "cancel culture" and its toxicity, but this video helped confirm my views. Originally published by the Washington Post, this short clip showed none other than former President Barack Obama calling out teenage "activism" by suggesting young people strive "to be as judgmental as possible."

Honestly, every word he said is true.

With this generation's longing desire to embody trending buzzwords like "woke" and "activist," it only makes sense for them to do the same with celebrities and influencers. The term "woke" refers to anyone who's aware of injustice in society, particularly racism. What I've noticed is not our generation's actual impulse for social change through being "woke" rather the title and superiority complex that evokes when one is labeled as an advocate for said change. Often times they won't even know what they're promoting, and when provided with an opposing view, they end up regressing to name-calling and reputation based fallacies like "canceling", rather than attacking the argument presented instead.

Let's take the phrase "OK boomer."

If you haven't been paying attention to the internet, "OK boomer" an insult to an older person, who may or may not technically be a baby boomer. Sure, it's appropriately funny, but what does it actually provide to the difference of opinion? Generation Z is no better for calling out baby boomers for their rigid views on social justice and close-mindedness if they aren't willing to compromise to change it. Progression isn't made through "canceling" your former favorite singers or by calling an old man with a respected opinion a boomer, it's made through compromisation and heavy understanding of each side. Only then a unanimous consensus to fix an issue is voted on, literally and metaphorically.

I'm not the first to call people out for this.

In fact, it's been done various times before on the internet, and there's even another slang term for people who fit into this, "fake woke." Great, now we've broken down an already faulty system into two, with an indistinguishable line of which is which. Who the hell is gonna know if you're woke or fake woke? In the eyes of the unknowing or ignorant, everything you say that may or may not be factually correct will sound rhetorically attractive and pleasing to the ears.

I know, I seem mad, especially for someone who's part of Generation Z, but I urge you not to fall into this trap. I know it may seem easy to label someone as boomer and move on with your day, but please, don't make our generation look worse than we already do. At this point, woke culture itself has strayed from its original purpose, so I advise you to stay politically involved and humble at the same time! Maybe you are "woke" (which everyone should be!), but do you really want to be associated with a movement like this?