Being Thankful In A Negative Society

Being Thankful In A Negative Society

Thankfulness is something that is learned.

40
Being Thankful In A Negative Society
Daniel Badley

For every one problem regardless of the circumstance there's a reason to be thankful.

In today's society it becomes so easy to be anything but thankful. And what's funny about it is that the reason you become ungrateful is something you don't even have control of. In every situation your decision to find something positive is up to you.

Here's a scenario: you just received a job promotion, pay increases, you get a better title, you go buy the new car of your dreams and you're just living on top of the world. In that state of mind, you have it all, God is good and you are thinking God for everything you have. You might even start donating more money to charities or missions. Then it happens. One of your close friends calls to tell you about how he just got hired on at a new company making double what you make, free company truck, higher title in company than what you just got. You watch him buy new house and all these items that are just a little bit better than what you got. Suddenly you lose all that gratefulness and think, "I thought I was a rock star until I saw all he got." Then a new stage happens. You lose happiness in all your blessings. It's not all intentional either. A lot of times we as humans do certain things and react certain ways that are subconscious. You went from an extreme high to a faith altering low because someone else appeared to have more or is doing more. I've done it, my wife Kendra has done this and I know you have. It's so natural to compare and lose thankfulness. You try so hard to be happy but you just can't. Why? Because you took your eyes off God's plan for your life and got caught up watching someone else live out their plan.

2 Corinthians 10:12 "Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and" compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding."

1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

The Bible clearly states to not compare ourselves to others. It states to be thankful in all things and to not be conformed to the word but for some reason we do it. There is a choice to be thankful in these moments of life. I have handled these moments wrong and right and I can truthfully tell you that by making the decision to be happy (which is showing love towards someone in their moments of greatness) I became thankful for where I'm at because you appreciate where you are. I know there are tough times. I've struggled financially, lost friends, fought with family even worked 100 hours a week. I know it is not easy to be happy for others. Especially when you are giving life all you have and feel like you're getting nothing back in return. It's as simple as this. Just be thankful. If it's not something you do subconsciously then make it a deliberate effort to go out of your way to thank God for all he has given you and speak it into existence. At some point it will click. There's life and death in the power of the tongue and you can decide how you feel in these momemts. If you want to complain, then your life is going to continue to be negative and never get better. If you start speaking life and thankfulness over your life then you will begin to appreciate everything so much more and then be ready for the increase. God is always good. History proves that regardless of how bad something seems, it always smooths over because you stayed faithful to Him. You will be okay. I promise. Pray, be thankful for everything you have.

Here is a simple llist of things that I'm thankful for: My beautiful wife Kendra, my family, her family, my job, my home, my cars, my pets, my friends, etc. The list is endless and there is going to be an equal or even larger number of things to complain about. But focus on what God has for you because there is goodness in it and I guarantee you will see a change in your own perspective of life.