The Thing About Being In A Band With Your Best Friend

There was always a song that could perfectly describe how I felt when I didn't have the words.

187
Allison Crampton

Growing up music has been a consistency in my life. There was always a song that could perfectly describe how I felt when I didn't have the words. Music is an art form that is meant to be shared. What makes it so unique is that I get to share and write music with my best friend, Halle.

As a kid, I sang to the point it was probably obnoxious, but it was something I loved. It wasn't until I was 7 years old that I finally picked up an instrument, which only assisted me in my musical journey. The person who inspired me to play the piano was Halle. We had grown up doing everything together and when she started piano lessons, it was just a given that I would start them too.

Long before we started our duo group, we had sung in choirs together and dueted at recitals. We started the idea of a duo group around 9th grade. We realized that we both loved music and took music lessons with the same teacher. Why wouldn't we want to do something that we loved so much together? To be completely honest, we weren't very good, but it was a creative outlet that we both enjoyed and got to improve on together. Our friendship revolved around creativity and music was an outlet that allowed our creativity to thrive.

Don't get me wrong there are pros and cons to playing music with your best friend. One thing that Halle and I aren't very good at is staying on track. Sometimes when we're playing music together, we have to stop because one of us thought of a funny story that just can't wait until the end of the song.

The pro about being in a band with your best friend is you're never bored. Whether we're productive or unproductive, it's never a waste of time to spend time with my friend. Another perk is that we're so used to playing with one another that it's easy to anticipate what the other will do. Whether we are leading worship at church or playing in a coffee shop, it's always comforting to know that there's someone beside you who has got your back.

It's been about a year since our first EP was released and it's night and day compared to what we sounded like in 9th grade. Not only did Halle inspire me to learn piano, but she inspires me to be better as a musician and songwriter. Discovering new ways to tell stories is something that is always innovative and exciting. I'm lucky enough to be able to do it with my best friend!

Side note: Unashamedly advertising for Moodkillers, our band. Here's a link to our EP: spotify:artist:5ZiYVVAVKlPgvGcobWFs4r