Being A Lifeguard

Being A Lifeguard

Being a Lifeguard at a Country Club.

8
Being A Lifeguard
https://unsplash.com/photos/_MQfVCb0gGc

I have been a lifeguard for the past two summers. I am about to start my third summer. It is at a country club and the pool is usually pretty easy to lifeguard. We have a small slide, an infinity side of the pool, a zero entry and the deepest part is five feet which means there is no diving at the pool. Since it is a country club the members are allowed to order food and alcoholic drinks (as many as they want). The members are very interesting people. One time a member came up to while I was on stand and the mosquitoes had been bad for a couple days and the member asked me "are you spraying the air with bug spray to keep the bugs away?" I said "no we are not" and the member was surprised.

I have gotten yelled at by a member to for telling them they needed to stop diving in to the shallow pool. There have been three adult men fall over the infinity side of the pool. All of them were drunk and landed safely on the other side (by some miracle) I'm not sure why two of the men fell over but one of the men was with his friend and him and his friend were joking around. The friend said "I bet you can't jump over that ledge" and so the man just jumped over it and no one could stop him.

Lifeguards at country clubs are honestly just considered baby sitters by the members. I have been told by multiple members to watch their children while they run to the bathroom or people come to the pool and get drunk and have no idea what their kids are doing. I am not a baby sitter. I am a lifeguard because I have been trained to be one, if I wanted to be a baby sitter I would be one. It honestly probably pays better being a baby sitter. Lifeguards have a very easy job ninety-eight percent of the time, but if we weren't there pools wouldn't be able to be open.