Basic Rules In A Relationship

Basic Rules In A Relationship

Being human is not a crime, we just need a reminder of what we are doing.

208
Basic Rules In A Relationship
Ibrahim Asad

Sometimes we all have that problem where we overthink a relationship and the rules we set for each other. The obligations and standards people set for each other are pretty high when you actually think about it. Setting standards to high or being to protective could be problematic, so I have a few basic rules that people should consider in a relationship. Also just to say, this is mainly a guideline because I know we tend to steer away from basic rules like this because we don't really think about it when it happens, and it is hard to pick things out when you are doing something that could deter the relationship.

Communication Over Technology

This one is particularly hard if this is a new starting relationship. Sure it’s a great way to keep talking, especially long distance, to your significant other but sometimes we still aren’t that familiar with their tone of voice. Like you could say a little joke which if you are sarcastic like me, they will probably interpret it as mean or you are mad at them. Although messages could be misinterpreted, if you communicate and talk over it then everything will simmer back down to how it was.

You Are NOT Their Parent

You did not raise them and you have no right to boss them around like you have rights over them. A relationship is a mutual agreement of love that should not be one-sided. If you disagree with something they do like eating unhealthy, smoking, drinking, etc. express your concern instead of telling them what they can and cannot do. I would try to make suggestions, but not press too hard and have them upset with me. Most people do not like being bossed around or controlled. Frankly, I don’t think anyone likes that.

Friends With The Opposite Sex

Unless you are dating someone who only has friends within their gender, I guess you have nothing to worry about. However, most people have best friends in the opposite gender and honestly it’s not a big deal. Some people have friends they have had for years before they met you, do you really think they are going to drop their best friend over their significant other? I would hope not. Telling your significant other they cannot talk to the opposite gender is controlling. Plus if you are dating someone, you should already trust them and their actions towards other people. Dating is about trust and loyalty, so we should trust the person we are dating. If you want, ask to meet the friend because it is important to get along with their friends and vice versa.

Time Commitment

Spending too much time together, you will get sick of each other. Not only that but you lose time with your own friends, so say when your significant other goes out of town and you want to hang out with your friends, who do you hang out with? Some friends are not forgiving when you neglect the friendship and turn their plans down to hang out with the significant other. I have seen this happen to way too many people to not address my concern. You both have friends to hang out with, so just set time aside for your friends.

Don’t Get Mad Over Social Media

By this I mean please do not get upset over them not always posting the pictures you two take together. Also, to not get upset if they do not like all of your posts because they may not agree with something you shared or possibly didn’t see it on their feed. Another thing to not get upset over is them liking other people’s posts. All these things are minor details and what matters is the attention they give you offline in person.

Give Them The Benefit Of The Doubt

I will admit that I am still learning to give the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes with things like not getting messages back or forgetting to call when they say they will. Personally, I jump to conclusions that they don’t want to talk to me or they are mad at me, but honestly they either purely forgot, thought their message sent but failed, became busy, or fell asleep. At times people don’t receive good night messages at night but it was just the other who fell asleep texting you. How you could look at it, their final words were talking to you before going to bed. Another thing is, is when they don’t reply as fast as you want them too because they are simply busy. Some people tend to get upset over that, but when they are busy they do the same thing.

Cheating Is Bad

This one is pretty obvious, but any form of cheating is bad. If you love them, you won’t do it and if you have temptations to cheat…then I guess you were not meant to be with the person you are with.

Some of these rules are disregarded mainly by accident because let’s be honest people, we are human. We are jealous, overprotective, overthinking, sensitive, etc. this stuff happens! Use this as a guideline to catch the habits you do. I know I have to catch myself sometimes with these rules because like I said we are human, stuff happens!