Bad Day, Not A Bad Life
popular

Bad Day, Not A Bad Life

Even after your worst days, the sun is still going to rise in the morning, and it's your job to get up and rise with it.

1506
Bad Day, Not A Bad Life

The quote "it's a bad day, not a bad life" is common to see all across Pinterest, but what do you do when the bad days start piling up on top of each other? One of the hardest things I've had to do in my twenty-one years is grieve the loss of someone who is still alive. No one plans for temporary people and friendships, most people over-idolize the thought that everyone will be in their lives forever and are naive to the fact that it is a fairly unrealistic thought. While I am increasingly aware that people are put into our lives for a specific amount of time for a specific reason, it's hard to lose someone who was practically part of who you are as a person. How do you pick yourself up from that?

It's so easy to degrade yourself after someone says they don't want to be with you anymore, but I've found it exceedingly important in situations such as those to get up every morning, look in the mirror, and remind yourself of all the things you still are. In my personal opinion, no matter how badly you hurt or were hurt by someone, nobody should be considered a mistake; at one point, dating or being their friend made you happy and that was exactly what you wanted. You are not damaged goods because someone was incapable of seeing your worth, and you are most certainly not a failure because a friendship or relationship didn't work out. You're ultimately wiser for going through something hard, becoming a product of the lessons you've learned along the way. If negative thoughts make their way into your life, you should tell the thoughts to go to hell because that's exactly where they came from. As cliché as it sounds, I've learned that no matter how awful something feels, everything always gets better with time. When you lose someone who felt like home, build a new foundation and become your own home.

In the middle of my freshman year of college, I was dealing with a lot of unnecessary drama and was having my fair share of bad days. The peak of my bad days occurred over that Thanksgiving break and my dad looked at me and changed my life in one sentence when he said; "Even after your worst days, the sun is still going to rise in the morning, and it's your job to get up and rise with it." It's interesting how much a few words can impact a person's life. Now, before I go to bed after a particularly rough day, I remind myself of my job to wake up in the morning and move forward. Life is short and I find it my duty to live it as fully, happily, and wholeheartedly as I possibly can.