The Back-To-College Skin Care Collection

A student's product curation and guide to getting your skin through the Fall semester.

23

Let's face it. Summer has reached it's end, and pumpkin spice season is upon us. Most universities have already started classes or will start soon. If you're like me, my school is in a pretty dry, cold area—especially in the winter months, so my combination skin will need something to exfoliate those dry patches, but also a thick moisturizer to lock everything in. Most will be faced with late nights; whether it be studying for midterms, finals, writing a paper, and so on. Running to and from your dorm to grab an iced coffee every morning and many other of the daily activities students do can take a toll on our sleep-deprived skin.

Of course, what works for me will not work for everyone. Not all of us have combination skin or eczema. Products containing vitamin C or green tea leaves may not help another's skin with different targets of concern. For example, I'm genetically prone to having much less acne than most people, and I'm extremely lucky. I have issues with dry and oily skin patches and dark eye circles. Someone else, on the other hand, may have severe breakouts or puffiness around the eyes and have a dry skin type. So it's important to know what your exact issues are with your skin, and if there's any extreme pain or anything out of the ordinary, a visit to the Dermatologist would be the best choice.

Generally, there are a few things that apply to everyone when it comes to proper skin care. There are products we all should use in a basic routine to keep our skin happy, and that includes a face wash, toner, moisturizer, sunscreen, and an exfoliation.

Neogen Dermatology Green Tea Foam Cleanser is a great option to use once every morning and night as the first step in a basic skincare routine. When pumped from the container, it turns into a light, clean-scented foam. Ingredients include fermented green tea extracts and green tea water to help soothe sensitive and dry skin. Cleanser effectively removes makeup, dirt, and sweat from the skin without stripping it of natural oils. Rub between your hands and use gentle, circular motions to cleanse your face before rinsing off with lukewarm water.

Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment would traditionally be step 2 in your routine, but it's important to note that you should exfoliate only once or twice per week. Exfoliating helps to lift the layer of dead skin cells from your face, clean out your pores and smooth everything over. When this step is not properly executed, your skin can become irritated, and may even induce trauma due to overuse of the abrasive cleanser. This product, in particular, has been named the "2 minute Hollywood facial" for its' both physical and chemical exfoliant counterparts.

Son & Park Beauty Water can be used after cleansing (or after exfoliating if used on that day) in order to balance the natural pH of the skin. This cult-favorite toner can also be used as a micro-exfoliant and helps to sweep away any impurities left over. It uses papaya extract and willow bark to reveal a brighter skin tone after a long night of studying, so your skin is revitalized and evenly smoothed. Lavender water, rose water, and orange fruit extract give moisture to prep for the next step in your routine or makeup application. I'd give this product a holy grail status.

Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb is the perfect way to protect and hydrate your skin as a second-to-last step. The cream comes out a light blue color, applies smoothly and is a perfect light moisturizer for feeling like you applied something much thicker. It absorbs quickly and leaves your skin smelling amazing and feeling soft. Prevent pesky dry patches from ever coming back with this amazing product.

Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF 42 comes in a small size but packs a big punch. Finish off your routine with an underrated step—sunscreen. Shake up the small bottle to mix the product, and in a few small dots to the face, apply the sunscreen and rub into your face until invisible. It will come out white and feel a bit dry, but after applying moisturizer, it will blend in and add an extra barrier to any toxins outside, including harmful UV rays. Apply daily for maximum results.