Avengers Endgame Review

Avengers Endgame: The End Of An Era

Marvel's Phase 3 is coming to a close, and I am not ready to say goodbye.

33
Avengers Endgame: The End Of An Era

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

I have been a massive Marvel fan for many years now. Every school break, my mom and I would have a Marvel marathon, starting with Iron Man and working our way up from there. It was always such a welcome escape from all the stress and work of school to settle down with some popcorn and enjoy a truly awesome cinematic experience.

Just like everyone else, I was shocked by the ending of Avengers: Infinity War. When Thanos snapped his fingers and we saw our favorite heroes disappear one by one, I was at a loss for words. So rarely in action films do we see the bad guys win, that I had no idea what was going to come next.

Fast forward a year, and it was already time for Avengers: Endgame. As excited as I was to see how the Russo brothers were going to conclude such an epic series, I also was not ready to say goodbye (and I'm still in denial about it.) The longer I held off from seeing it, the easier it was to avoid knowing how the characters wrap it up. But by Saturday, I couldn't wait anymore.

I went to an evening showing by myself to find myself in a nearly full theater. I felt an excitement unlike ever before, and that was the first time I realized what a truly special series Avengers is. When the opening Marvel sequence began, my heart leapt in my chest, similar to that feeling you get right before you're about to go down a huge hill on a roller-coaster.

The first hour of the film was definitely the slowest, in my opinion. It was during this time that I took the mandatory bathroom break (because c'mon, the film is three hours long. At some point, you're gonna have to go.) Even though it took the film a while to pick up, we got to see the Avengers at their most vulnerable. They were all trying to be okay after Thanos' snap, but the desire to defeat him was always there.

Then, the movie picks up and the rising action to the final battle ensues. I was hooked to the very end. My favorite part of the film was when all the fallen Avengers joined Cap for the final battle. When Black Panther showed up, I felt so psyched that it took all my strength not to jump out of my chair with excitement.

My biggest problem with the film was how they handled Black Widow. Iron Man's death was emotional and wrapped up the character's story beautifully. Black Widow died halfway through the movie before the big battle sequence at the end, the Avengers were sad for, like, a second, and then everybody moved on with their lives. No funeral, no wrap-up, nothing. I thought this was especially disappointing because Nat had such a good first half of the movie where she was slowly taking the place as leader of the Avengers after Thanos' snap. Very disappointing.

But, problems aside, this movie was fun and heartfelt at the same time. Time travel always makes things iffy, because it seemingly always creates plot holes and makes rules that are complicated for the audience to wrap their heads around. But still, it was fun to immerse ourselves back into the worlds of the other movies and I really enjoyed it.

So, if you haven't seen Endgame yet, prepare yourself for one last epic ride and all the feels in the world. I loved it 3000.