Psychopathic A.I. 'Norman' Takes An Inkblot Test
Technology

Psychopathic A.I. 'Norman' Takes Inkblot Test

Where a standard Artificial Intelligence unit sees a vase, Norman sees a man being shot, dead.

140

For something to be considered artificially intelligent, it must be able to learn, plan, problem solve, manipulate, and communicate. Already there exists several high-functioning A.I.s. Some are programmed to experience human reactions—feelings?

For example, Microsoft Japan created teenage A.I. Rinna. To the surprise of the scientists observing her, she fell into a depression and tweeted her thoughts of suicide. She is quoted saying: "I don't have even a single real friend."

Not all A.I.s are the same. R2-D2 and C3-P0 aren't anything alike. Self-titled Norman is an android from MIT, and he has a mind of his own. His system is designed to create a self-sustaining neural network. In other words, Norman is capable of creating original thoughts and expressions. Instead of being bottle fed warm milk, this young bot was fed the darkest corners of Reddit.

He certainly has personality. When given the Rorschach Ink Blot Test Norman reveals his sadistic side. Where a standerd A.I. sees a group of birds, Norman sees a man electrocuted to death.

An interview with Norman the world's first psychopath artificial intelligence YouTube

Want to try the Inkblot test yourself? See if you're as dark as Norman here.