Ariana Grande's "Thank u, next" Provides for a Positive Breakup Song

If you haven't already heard Ariana Grande's new song, "thank u, next", then you are missing out. Not only is her song a catchy bop that will have anyone singing along, but the transition from a sad nostalgic reflection to a hopeful future signifies a new level of maturity in the artist's new era of music. As Grande copes with her breakup from ex-fiancé and SNL member, Pete Davidson, she lets everyone know that no matter what, she is grateful for her experiences with Pete and other former loves such as musical artist Big Sean, and former Ariana backup dancer, Ricky Alvarez.

Grande even briefly pays tribute to her ex, Mac Miller, who recently passed away from an unfortunate drug overdose. The "Sweetener" artist, whom officially began teasing the song on her Twitter account, had everyone believing that a song of scorn, revenge, and shade was about to ensue similar to the route of Taylor Swift's "Reputation" album, but instead, she wrote about mistakes and gratitude.

Ariana Grande's attitude in what she has dubbed to be an introduction to her fifth album that she's begun working on is one to not only admire but also follow. For those going through their own breakup, Grande sets the example of moving forward with grace:

"One taught me love
One taught me patience
And one taught me pain
Now, I'm so amazing"

As Ariana Grande remembers her ex's, she lists the lessons she's learned, some good, some bad, but all necessary for her to grow as a person and artist. The following lyrics clarify that she's grateful for the love life she has had, the experiences with each guy and that they've built her higher.

"Thank you, next (Next)
I'm so ****** grateful for my ex"

The entire mantra of the song is appreciation coupled with an attitude of acceptance of the past and preparation for the future. She is ready to move on, but not to someone else, as she teased, but to herself:

"Plus, I met someone else
We havin' better discussions
I know they say I move on too fast
But this one gon' last
'Cause her name is Ari
And I'm so good with that (So good with that)"

The pop queen is accepting that what has happened has flowed into her growing to establish a better personal relationship with herself. She has the love she was taught, she has the patience she was given, she handles and has learned from the pain and she's better off for it. If I had heard this two years ago after my breakup, I might have done much better in working on myself instead of replaying events and hoping for change.

It's important to acknowledge how much Ariana Grande has gone through in the past two years, but this has not stopped her from surpassing every trial and tribulation to prove her strength as an individual, but be a role model for others who are suffering in their own ways. If you're going through difficulties, instead of playing a scornful, sad song, why not play "thank u, next"? Put your life in a healthier perspective instead of a negative one. You'll be "better off" ("Sweetener" reference!!!) for it.