Are Bath Bombs And Yoga Really Self-Care?

Is the media warping the definition of self-care?

237
Rozek Law Offices

Today there is a lot of talk and emphasis on self-care. It seems like everyone, including celebrities are trying to find the best ways to relax. If you don't believe me, scroll through Instagram. You will see pictures of legs in the bath tub with a colorful bath bomb with #SpaNight, or a photo of a wine glass with #WineWednesday. Is this really the best way to practice self-care?

Self-care is not over-indulging in chocolate, ice cream, and wine. Self-care is not maxing out your credit card every month because you needed "retail therapy" after you failed another Organic Chemistry exam. Self-care is not avoiding your to-do list for hours so that you can take another spa day.

Self-care is taking time away from your busy life to focus on yourself. Self-care will help you to make progress in your schedule, both physically and mentally. Although many of the things listed above may be self-care to you, there are so many ways to practice self-care without spending too much money, being lazy, and falling behind on important tasks.

Sometimes self-care can be doing things that help us to progress and make our life easier, like prepping healthy meals for the week, taking a break from work to go grocery shopping, or writing out a to-do list so you can cross tasks off as you finish them.

For me, self-care use to be watching five episodes on a Netflix Original, while eating popcorn and avoiding all of the homework that was starting to pile up.Over-indulgence is the main problem that people may face when trying to find a self-care routine that works best for themselves. Self-care should be things done for yourself that are not excessive and end up causing you more stress than you already had. When feeling the pressure of life, take a few minutes to practice a breathing exercise, eat a bowl of your favorite ice cream, or call a friend on the phone. Small things like this can take the edge off of your stress and help you to relax instead of putting you behind.

So, are bath bombs and yoga classes really self-care? In moderation, anything can be self-care. Taking a break from your homework to take a warm, relaxing bath or staying active by signing up for a yoga class can be great ways to take care of yourself. Find a way to practice self-care that works for you. If you hate reading, laying down with a book before bed will probably not do the trick. If you hate working out, signing up for spin class with probably cause anxiety or even more stress. Writing in a journal, cleaning your closet, or taking a pet for a walk can all be great ways to show yourself some love. Whatever you do that is productive, timely, and for yourself.