April Showers Bring May Flowers....and Finals

Some study tips/tricks to survive what can be the most stressful time of the year

46

April showers bring May flowers. But for college students, showers isn’t all April brings. April means finals, and finals means stress. It’s that time of year when people start to get really overwhelmed. The semester is ending ~ papers are due, exams are approaching, and summer plans are to be made. It’s a stressful time, but you can do it! With the right amount of determination and coffee, you will make it through finals!

Some study tips, tricks, and motivation for this crazy time of year!

1. STAY CALM!Everything is going to be fine and if you put in the effort, your grades will reflect that. I know its easier said than done but keep your cool!!
  2. Make a plan! I am an avid fan of planners and scheduling! Block out time to get certain tasks done ~ this way you have everything planned out right in front of you! Don’t forget to schedule in some time for yourself or for something fun!
  3. Don’t procrastinate...Its very easy to make a plan and NOT stick to it. If you put things off you’ll end up with less quality work and you’re going to have to really crank it out in the final stretch. Pace yourself!
  4. Everyone deserves a break!Chill out! Watch an episode (not 5) of your favorite TV show! Go grab sushi with your friends! Do something that takes your mind off of your work
  5. FOCUS!When you are working hard, work hard!! Sit down and crank out 30 solid minutes of work!! If you break it down and work hard whileyou have the time, you’ll be done before you know it!
  6. Find a study spot that works for you! Some people work great in quiet library settings, others like to study with friends. Find what works best for you in order to be the most productive!
    If you’re on Wayne State’s campus some of my favorite quiet spots to study include: Socra Tea (located at 71 Garfield St), The Detroit Public Library (located at 5201 Woodward Ave), and The MOCAD Café (located inside the MOCAD at 4454 Woodward Ave)
  7. SLEEP! Even though you probably have a million and ten things to do, get enough zzz’s to do them properly! Go to bed at a reasonable hour so you feel refreshed and are able to be productive in the morning!
  8. Take Care of Yourself.Along with sleeping right comes eating properly and exercising! Don’t forget to give yourself some TLC while you’re busy working hard!
  9. Remember what you’re here for! You aren’t working for nothing! You’re working towards the future and being the best you can be. All this hard work will pay off!
  10. You’ve got this!Finals will be over before you know it and you’re going to do great! Summer will be here in no time!