Analog Photography: Salem, Massachusetts

Photographing Salem on gritty black and white film.

14

A couple months ago, I took a trip out to the east coast (my second favorite coast) to do some shooting around Boston and Salem. Here I'll be sharing the finished black and white film shots from my time in Salem. I shot mainly Lomography Lady Gray 400 speed film, and I was pleased with the way the shots turned out.

Michael Neal

In this shot, I liked the leading line of the houses up into the corner of the frame, and the texture of the film really shows.

Michael Neal

I liked the framing of this shot, and I liked the almost 3d feel of the plate on the street.

Michael Neal

The classic witch shot.

Michael Neal

Another classic witch shot.

Michael Neal

I liked the detail of this shot, and the door had a nice texture that was accented with film.

Michael Neal

This was an interesting statue that I found in downtown Salem, so I wanted to shoot it. I also liked the old style houses in the shot.

Michael Neal

Here is a little street shot that showcases the Salem Newspaper.

Michael Neal

I liked this shot of two of my friends walking down the street. The framing is nice, and I thought the whole frame was balanced.

Michael Neal

This is a simple shot, and I liked how the light fell on the fence.

Michael Neal

I liked the way the fence bends here, and I liked the bokeh of the gravestones in the background.

Michael Neal

I liked the extreme contrast here and the silhouette that was painted on this statue.

Michael Neal

This is just a classic street shot, but I like it because it helps to sum up Salem in downtown. These last two shots are texture shots, so I'll end the article with those. I hope you enjoyed seeing Salem, and I highly recommend visiting if you ever get the chance!

Michael Neal

Michael Neal