An Open Letter To The Incoming High School Class Of 2024

You're gonna make it

18
Photo by Omar Roque on Unsplash

I know that these next four years already seem daunting, but I promise you, you've got this, but there's also nothing wrong with receiving a little help. I wanted to give you some encouragement, along with a few pointers that should help you navigate high school.

Be Yourself

If you only knew how much time I wasted not being myself... and let me tell you, it isn't worth it. Nothing good comes out of it, and you just end up miserable. There is no point faking your personality to make friends, you'll make some real friends if you are just, beautifully, you.

Do Your Stinking Homework

I know how hard this is sometimes, especially when you're super involved or you have a job, but it is so worth it. You will be so proud of yourself at the end of your senior year if you do your best. You don't want to look back after you graduate and wish you could go back so you can try harder.

Show Up 

This kind of goes hand in hand with my previous point . I know this is such a cliché, and it doesn't seem true, but these four years will fly by. You'll miss them when you're gone, so be present for them and enjoy them while you can. And, again, it's so rewarding in the end.

Get Involved

Are you sick of my clichés yet? I mean this one! If you don't listen to anything else I say, listen to this. This honestly helps out with a lot of the other tips. Join a couple clubs you're interested in, take part in spirit weeks, and go to some sporting events. I didn't listen to this until the last half of highschool, but this is what makes it all actually fun. This is how you enjoy high school.

Find That One Teacher

Every student has that one teacher... I actually got extremely blessed with two. I'm not even gonna explain this one, when you meet them, you'll understand.

Momma's Always Right

I don't care if it's about a boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend, or something stupid you're about to do. Momma is always right, every single time, and it's annoying. At the end of the day, she'll have the opportunity to say "I told you so," but she probably won't, instead, she'll be there letting you cry and rant to her while you're holding her hand. Just listen to her to begin with, it makes things a whole lot easier.

Don't Be So Focused On Relationships

I know that person seems like "the one," and you don't want to hear it, but they probably aren't. "The one" is probably someone you haven't even met yet. I'm not saying there's no such thing as high school sweethearts or that you shoudn't go on dates, but don't let it consume you. You can have just as much, if not more, fun in school being single.

It's Okay

Just know that whatever you have to do to make these four years work for you is okay. It's okay if you cry in class, it's okay to not understand your assignment, it's okay to go hide out in the library at lunch, it's okay to ask for help, it's okay to drop classes. Do what you have to do while you're here, because it isn't always easy.

Keep Your Eyes On God

High school can be hard, scary, and extremely overwhelming at times. Having Him at the center of it all makes it so much better and so much more managable.