An Open Letter To The Girl Going Far Away For College

All of my friends are going to the same three local colleges.

51
Digital News Illinois

If your town is anything like mine, your friends and peers are all attending the same three local colleges. It feels as though those are the only three colleges in existence and even the people at the top of your class chose to go to them. A part of you feels left out, like you'll miss out on all the fun your friends and people you grew up with will have together in college. You start to wonder whether you should've accepted that offer of admission to the college in your town because well, after all, you got a sizable scholarship there.

And the big question: will your friends forget about you in all their college fun?

People you know are rooming together and writing end of the year Instagram posts with their friends which have captions like, "can't wait to kill it with you at [insert school name here] next year or "you'll catch us next year at [insert school name here]"

You don't get to be in on this fun and quite frankly you had to look up the people in your dorm on Facebook or the roommate you chose you met in the class group chat, you've only ever been able to text.

You feel left out until you remember the reasons why you chose to go to this college over the local ones everyone's attending.

You felt at home as soon as you stepped on campus. The atmosphere and energy you felt walking around campus was something you knew had to be part of your college experience. You could see yourself going to the stores and restaurants around campus town. You could see yourself walking from class to class, building to building daily. You could see yourself studying in the library or getting food in the dining hall. You could see yourself going to football games or being a part of a club. But most of all, this is where you felt you belonged.

It doesn't matter that your peers and friends are off at their respective colleges with the people you've all known forever. They will be having the same experiences you are, just closer to home. And even though they will have a sense of familiarity stepping onto campus with the people they grew up with, you're all on your biggest adventure yet, regardless of how close or far from home you are.

You all had reasons to chose the colleges you did. And even if you have to make a greater adjustment to the new place you're in, I want you to feel confident in your decision. After all, this school is where you belong.

And I promise you, your friends won't forget you in all their college fun.