An Open Letter To Rising Highschool Seniors

Make memories that will last forever.

491
Portland Press Herald

Senior year is the best and worst year of them all. Let me be the first to assure you that your year will fly by in no time. For those of you that can't wait to walk across that stage, take a breathe. It's not all what its cracked up to be, but at the same time is. My open letter to all you seniors is one that is full of truth, love, and everything in between.

Dear Rising Seniors,

You'll never believe this day has finally come. You'll wake up to the first day of senior year with a bittersweet smile. Your mom will start to shed a tear followed by, "I remember when you were just going to kindergarten." Yes, this always happens and you'll always roll your eyes. Walking into school on the first day of senior year kind of gives you this temporary high like no other. You'll feel powerful and honestly too cool for school if you weren't already thinking that. You'll show off your brand new kicks and summer wear as the freshman dream to be like you just a few years later. It's cliche to think that you "rule the school", but you really do. Everything will consist of firsts and lasts your senior year. Buckle up guys, it's going to be a fast ride.

So here's the bitter truth...Your fall semester will be the death of you due to the college process! Re-taking the SATS and fighting for a spot in a top college will make you want to scream your head off, but I promise it'll all be ok.Take the time in between the college process and have some fun. Your last homecoming football game and homecoming dance will be so unique to any other homecoming season, and you need to take it all in while you still can. Coming from my perspective, I already miss the crisp breeze of a Friday night football game. If you aren't one to be cheering in the student section, join in! Becoming one with your fellow classmates is something you'll regret not doing down the road. Take in every opportunity to mingle because they won't be there after this year.

Go to several games within every sport, support the drama club, and become someone at school. After this, you won't be able to live another high school life unless is vicariously through your children. Spend more time with your friends and even people you don't normally hang out with, or even with people you lost touch with. Take it from someone who went through senior year and believe me when I tell you that everyone really comes together senior year. Just let it happen. It's really great when everyone starts to realize that there is no next year for high school and they all come together. I've hung around so many people my senior year that I never thought I would be with, and it turned out to be a highlight of the year.

The guidance office will become your second abode by the time the semester's over. Get used to knowing your counselor because they're the ones that will be writing your recommendations. Get in there the first of the year and introduce yourself to your counselor, set up an appointment, and ask for all the paperwork you need for he/she to get to know you adequately. Don't wait too long or they'll be piled up with so much work that they won't be able to properly know you.

As to college choice wise... Please don't necessarily base your choice on money. Yes, it's important but if you already know sort of what you want to do, find the college that fits you. A lot of people say they can step on campus and they know, but for me, that campus wasn't on the list of acceptances. In this case, find which one fits you best after that. One huge mistake I made was being so blind to many options just because I was so focused on two schools that I loved. Looking back, there were so many other colleges that easily could have been my fit, but I wasn't open to them at the time because I was so set on Fordham and Providence. Yes having a dream school is ok, but keep your options open!

Now graduation will come up so quickly and you'll be so excited, but make sure you always keep your friends by your side through everything. Don't sweep them under the rug or give them a cold shoulder just because you're going to college at the end of the summer. Keep them close, you won't have them soon. Get involved in going to games, be a role model for younger students, leave your mark with integrity, and have the most fun you've ever had of your lives. Be careful when it comes to partying, and don't be stupid by drinking and driving. Go to your senior prom, senior last assembly, and project grad. Hug your friends even harder, spend every second just living life, and enjoy your senior year.

Don't ever think that you'll have time to do everything you want senior year because it goes by as quick as lighting. Be you, and have a blast this upcoming year. Don't stress out about academics too much, but keep your grades up until you get into college, please! I wish I could be in the same place you are getting ready for my senior year again, but pretty soon you'll be saying the same.

Enjoy being a senior and make memories that will last forever.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Wishes She Could Go Back in Time

XOXO