An Open Letter To My Lost Friends

An Open Letter To My Lost Friends

Thank you.

197
An Open Letter To My Lost Friends
Robert Churchill/123rf Stock Photo

To All of My Lost Friends,

You know who you are. You are the people who stepped into my life for a period of time, whether it be days or years, it doesn't matter. You are the ones who are memories now, who I haven't heard from for years. You are the ones that occasionally pop into my mind at random moments, with small memories that bring a smile to my face. There was no argument or reason for going separate ways, it just happened. My lost friends are the people who simply faded out of my life, without a goodbye or a farewell.

My lost friends are probably some of the best friends I have had. All of you came into my life through circumstances that I will not forget. It may have been kindergarten, a sports team, family friends or an awkward stage of life, but you certainly made the time we spent together fun.

So to my lost friends, I would like to say thank you. Thank you for coming into my life. We may have only been friends for a matter of days, or we may have been friends for years, long ago. Regardless, you made that time so special. Even years later, I think about you and all of the laughs we had, all of the silly jokes that we shared and all of the time spent together.

Thank you for being my friend. When were were the best of friends, I was always so excited to see you.Our classes spent together or practices we shared were always the best part of the day. You may not know it, but your friendship still brings me joy. I still find myself thinking of you and smiling over the laughs that we had.There are fewer things better than friendship, and I was lucky enough to experience having a friend like you.

Thank you for shaping and teaching me. Even though our time together may have varied, you shaped me in a way that you will never know. I may not be able to express exactly how each of you affected me, but I can promise that each of you impacted who I am. You all taught me a lot as well. The most important lesson you taught me was to value the people in our lives, especially our friends. You taught me that not everything lasts forever, including the best of friendships.

Along with thanking you, my lost friends, I want to apologize. There are a lot of things that I should say sorry for, I am sure. It might be a matter of hurt feelings or a broken rule in a game we played. Unfortunately, there are more serious things I have to apologize for, now that I am grown and remembering each of you in particular.

I am sorry for letting you slip away, and for not reaching out more often. When we were friends we talked so much and saw each other so frequently, that it seemed silly to consider that you wouldn't be there one day. I guess as kids we never realize that life begins to turn so quickly. I am sorry that even as technology developed along with us, that I did not find you or try to talk to you more often.

Lost friends, I am sorry that I let growing up get in the way. As we grew up and changed, I got lost in the whirlwind that was my life. I let myself get swept away, and slowly began to let us drift apart from each other. As we grew we began to change, and I am sorry that I let differences begin to take us in different directions.

Most importantly, I am sorry that you are all now only fond memories. Our lives would have been so different if we had stayed in touch, had we not let life and growing up get in the way. I am sad that now when I think of you, I am left with the painful sting of nostalgia, and not the contentment of knowing that you are still in my life. I am sorry that each of you are only names from my past, one that is brought up only occasionally while talking with parents or friends that have managed to hang on.

To each and every one of my lost friends, you are always going to be a part of my life. I would not trade the time we had together in a million years. Truthfully, I am not sure that most of you even remember my face or my name, but every one of you have left a mark on my life. I will never forget you, or the memories we have. I am sorry that I am reduced to calling you "lost friends," but I cannot thank you enough, my lost friends, for being a highlight of my life.

Signed,

Your "Lost" Friend