5 Things America STILL Doesn't Have
Politics

5 Things America STILL Doesn't Have

Equality, accessibility, freedom...

128
5 Things America STILL Doesn't Have
Instagram

It's 2018, as I hope all of you know. I find it funny how the future used to be portrayed in movies like 'Back to the Future' and the 'Zenon' movies. We don't have flying cars or readily available holograms but we have a hella lot of inequality and bigotry.

When I was little, I always thought that it was AH-mazing to be an American among other things. But, as I've grown up and thought about having my own children, I wonder how someone could be proud of everything we still don't have. Here is a list of things we STILL don't have in the United States, but 100% should and better have before I will reproduce:

1. Equity.

The United States in particular likes to preach "equality" but we don't even have that. In 2018, we need EQUITY. Giving each person the same thing isn't necessarily the best thing as every single person has different needs to be successful.

2. Understanding.

People are REAL quick to give some side-eye or make their disgust known with any and every little thing. A mother can't breastfeed in public without someone complaining. Two people, who freaking love each other, can't get married if they're not of the same race without people running their mouth. IT IS 2018. Don't like it? DON'T DO IT. But if it's none yo' business, mind yo' biscuits.

3. Accountability.

Our legal system has gone mostly unchanged for decades. Unfortunately, even in this current day and age, we have people not being held accountable. Accountability is not something you can pick and choose to use when it's convenient. If someone does something wrong, like shoots a Black man for NO REASON, they should be held accountable. If multiple *cough* MULTIPLE mass shootings happen every year, gun owners and gun retailers should be held accountable. I'm not sure why they aren't (that's a lie), but maybe by 2019, we'll make some changes!

4. Freedom.

'Murica... the country of FREE... not. Women are still treated like property. People can't go to an abortion clinic without being harassed. Petsmart won't let freaking Pitbulls go to the puppy parties. African Americans are being innocently shot down with false precepts. The "freedom" in this country is a joke, and you'd think by 2018 we'd get it right.

5. Inclusion.

You can't have diversity without inclusion. Our nation, my city, and my Greek life preaches inclusion and diversity, while also being anti-everything and anti-diversity. Not every building is wheelchair accessible. Not every building is non-smoking. Not every health insurance includes or covers mental health or cancer. Not every dog can go into a groomer. Not every woman can go into a bathroom. Not every loving family can adopt a child. Not every American is included in America's "freedom." Again... IT IS 2018.