America, The Melting Pot

America, The Melting Pot

Mr. Trump, please don't redefine what being American means.

446
America, The Melting Pot
thyblackman.com

With the current presidential race, we’ve been seeing a lot of Donald Trump speaking of building his wall and talking about illegal immigration. Well Mr. Trump, it seems you’ve lost touch of where you've come from.

America, the melting pot.

America, the land of opportunity.

Mr. Trump, I’ve heard that your family are immigrants who built themselves up from the bottom. I’ve also heard that is what America is. That you yourself have taken and profited from the image of what America is supposed to be. You say that the founding fathers are rolling over in their graves at the way America is being run and you are very right. They are watching you attempt to rip away opportunity from the immigrants that come to this country for a better life. These people come here from poor, drug ridden countries in an attempt to better themselves and give their families an opportunity. They do not come here to rape, pillage, or murder. They come here as an escape and America is seen as a paradise, where the opportunity to be safe and succeed is actually a viable option.

73 percent of all farm workers are illegal immigrants. Where would the agricultural industry be without them? You say they steal jobs from Americans, but they do the work that Americans do not want to do.

It should not take up to 15 years and thousands and thousands of dollars to become a naturalized US citizen. This deems it almost impossible for those coming to escape the horrors of other countries.

America does not have an official language. You may divide us all by white, Hispanic, Middle eastern, Asian, but when it all comes down to it, we are all American. We all come here for the same reason and for the same purpose. We are all hoping to achieve greatness, or at least more then what we came from. America should be the right to an affordable education and the ability to climb the social and economic ladder. It should be hard work and determination, acceptance of who we are, not bigotry and hatred for others. We are allowing our fear to block out our common sense and our sense of what America is. America is “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” To block that right from anyone is un-constitutional.

An American is anyone coming here for a better life. So you see Mr. Trump, not allowing those who come “to seek a great perhaps” is the definition of “un-American.”