problems with america
Politics

America, We Have Got To Get It Together

There's so much going on in this country right now, so we have to work something out.

82
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkz_qGjjd8w/
@cnnpolitics/Instagram

"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board."

That's the first line from Zora Neale Hurston's book, "Their Eyes Were Watching God." How do you see that line? I see it as a way of new beginnings and a fresh start. I also see it from the perspective of refugees who come here looking for a fresh start, but have been sent back to their home country or separated from their children.

America, something has changed over the years. I have seen a decline in unity, equality, and personal freedom. We've lacked unity when it's been once race against the other. We've lacked equality when it's been one gender against the other. We've lacked in giving people in society a chance at their own personal freedom when that's all they want. We've lacked these things and we need to get them back, but how? You can't tell people to unite as one nation under God if half of the people don't feel the unity. You can't tell people to be indivisible when brothers and sisters are fighting each other constantly. You can't tell people to have freedom and justice for all if one person feels constantly attacked. You just can't.

To accomplish something higher than one goal, you need to start somewhere. Start by cleaning your own backyard before you try and tell someone else how to clean theirs. I want to be apart of a nation that I would not have to worry about my children and their children. I want you to be able to sleep at night and not worry about a thing other than what's going to be served for breakfast. We need to get to work and start cleaning up. And the cleanup party starts now.

The past is the past and we can't change that, but we can choose to create a better future.

In a study conducted by Child Trends, in the 1972 Presidential election, nearly 53% of voters were 18- to 24-year-olds and those numbers are declining because the youth is not voting. Why aren't you voting? Do you not care what happens in this world? In your country? In your home?

I want my voice to be heard, so by casting one little vote could make all the difference. If you want your voice to be heard or you want a change, then vote. Call or write to your representatives and demand change happen if you're unhappy. The day I turned 18, I registered to vote because it's that important to me and it should be important to you. It should be important because we're going to be the ones running this country one day and I would like to have full confidence in us when that day comes to fruition.

America, we have to work together. This can't be a "me against you" ordeal. This can't be a "he said/she said" type of thing either. We don't need to be playing tug of war with each other. America, I know that we are strong and mighty. It's about time we show it, so please, let's get it together.