Poetry On Odyssey: "Porch Neighbors"

Poetry On Odyssey: "Porch Neighbors"

A poem reflecting on a past spring day

32
Poetry On Odyssey: "Porch Neighbors"
pixabay

It has been a crazy month and I am sure I am not alone in this feeling. The Winter Olympics have sprung up, midterms are just a few weeks away, and Groundhog Day, whether true or not, give hope for warmer days to come. Spring and Easter are arriving, with Ash Wednesday inspiring me to get more involved with my relationship with God, and random nice days begin to show their face again. South Carolina weather is a tricky thing to figure out, just this week, it rained, there were chilly days, forcing people to still wear layers even if they are getting impatient for Summer. But today was one of those in between days that make walking around campus beautiful, and sitting outside for lunch or homework luxurious, and warm. I know I still have a few weeks until spring actually gets here, but today's weather encouraged me to recall another springlicious day.

"Porch Neighbors"

Once I saw a nest,

Full of small birds slumbering in rest,

Atop beams that hold the porch’s roof.

But looking all around, no mother to have proof.

The wind was picking up speed.

Becoming worried, I wished the mother head,

For what if the newly born fell

And were trampled by the coming storm’s hail.

Wanting so badly to reach up and save thee,

But my father once told me;

Don’t stir up nature on your own

Thinking to help, you’ll only mess up someone else’s home.

There! There is the mother now with a worm,

Just as the rain is released by clouds to kill the spring burn.

Mother birds must think they have a hard duty,

Always fighting to keep the little ones alive, however moody.

Even in the simplest forms of life nature shows

Just how humble and caring creatures are without woes.

Oh, how I would love to be a bird in endless flight,

No fears or limitations with everything in near sight.

Dear neighbors up there on the awning,

Be safe and lighthearted just as the storm is dawning.