All About You: The New You

All About You: The New You

"Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account." - Oscar Wilde

11
All About You: The New You

Every year we decide to come up with a New Year's resolutions. We come up with resolutions to motivate ourselves to start off the new year right, but a lot of us never follow through with them. The reason we do not stick with our resolutions is because they are just too unreasonable. The best New Year's resolution would be one that will bring you happiness, health and success throughout the New Year. So I'm here to give you 5 reasonable New Year's resolutions that will bring you all of just that.

1. Create a goal, not a resolution.

The word resolution means having the intentions to do something, while a goal is theresultorachievementtowardwhicheffortisdirected. It is better to have a goal instead of a resolution because a goal is setting a target you want to hit and actually changing your behavior to do so, while a resolution is simply having the intentions to do something unreasonable that will most likely fail. So for the new year, don't make a resolution; create a goal because a goal is something very specific and measurable and this will bring success to you in the new year. An example of a resolution would be "I want to lose 20 pounds," an example of a goal would be "I want to lose 20 pounds, and I'm going to do so by working out 3 days a week and only eating out twice a week."

2. Smile/Laugh.

Okay, so it is a known fact that smiling when you are in a bad mood can trick your brain into thinking you are happy, which will actually put you in a better mood. This is the same with laughter. Laughing releases endorphins, which trigger a positive feeling in your body which will bring you instant joy. Doing these two things will not only make you happy but will bring you success in the new year because a smile is attractive and inviting.

3. Make time for yourself.

As college students, our focus is on GPA; as parents, our focus is on our kids, and as a person who pays bills, our focus is on getting to work and making that money. All these are very good and important things, but if you don't focus on yourself, you can't fully put all your effort and potential towards the things that matter. Relaxing and taking time for yourself will bring you success and happiness in the new year because this will make you more productive, creative, and open-minded.

4. Find someone special.

This year, we aren't making resolutions; we're setting goals, so why not have someone to encourage and motivate you to reach your goal? These days we find it so cool to hide our feelings from the person we like, but this year, cut that out. If you like someone, tell them; if you want to be with someone, tell them. You never know, this person could make you so happy throughout the new year and if they're about business, y'all could be successful together, you know, like a power couple.

5. Focus on your health.

Focusing on your health is much more than working out and eating right. Focusing on your health means getting more sleep, cutting toxic, hateful, and negative people out of your life and doing little things to stimulate your brain like reading or going to church. Focusing on your physical and mental health will help you reach your goals, which in turn will bring you happiness and success.