An Open Letter to My Future Daughter

An Open Letter to My Future Daughter

What I want you to know about your empowerment.

18
An Open Letter to My Future Daughter
Google Images

Dear Future Daughter,

I don't know what you'll be like. I can see you as a little hipster gal with your aesthetics and acoustics, sipping tea with your messy bun allowing wisps of hair to fall around your thoughtful face. Or I can see you as a rough-and-tumble gal that could be mistaken for a boy at first glance, with the boots, baggy t-shirts, and mud disguising your more feminine side. But maybe you won't be like me. Maybe you'll be the girl who's obsessed with pink, glitter, rhinestones, and unicorns. That's okay, too.

Whether you choose to be comfortable in your own skin or you choose to experiment with the art of makeup, you are valuable. Whether you choose to dress casually or you enjoy dressing up, you are beautiful and worthy of respect. Whether you're quiet and ladylike or vocal and outgoing, you are just what you were made to be.

Although you are given numerous choices in how you display yourself as a woman, remember that there are boundaries to set for yourself and that becoming too "free" will only lead to disrespect to yourself. Don't flaunt your body as an object if you don't want others treating it as such. Don't hide yourself or your body in fear of being taken advantage of. Emanate light in your countenance, dress, and style. Don't be ashamed of being attractive or allow your body to be shamed for being too curvy or too thin. Don't mentally take on a man's guilt for his actions against you. Do dress and act in a way that allows your conscience to be confident in your decisions and interactions. Don't allow yourself to be silenced in the name of "woman's roles." You are made to influence and shape your world. You are not the lesser gender in any way.

Remember that some men are hateful and oppressive, but there are more have their eyes wide open to your value. I will be thrilled if you get the chance to be surrounded by as many amazing men as I have. Remember that you are not in a battle against men. There will always be guys waiting to disappoint you, abuse you, and break your heart, but you don't need to allow them to. Give your sunshine liberally but your heart's attachment sparingly. Wait for the guy who values you and lifts you up in your endeavors as a woman.

Set goals for yourself and learn skills. Don't lean on the men in your life for everything. If you want to be seen as equal, take on your share of responsibility. The last thing I want for you is for you to feel empty, mindless, or purposeless in your world. You don't need to wait for Prince Charming. You are enough in yourself if you are following your purpose set for you by God. Walk away from the superficial and pursue the lasting things.

You have so much power, so don't underestimate yourself or allow your mind to play into your insecurities. Don't abuse your power as a woman or take advantage of a man. Don't think that women are the only victims. Give men the same respect that you ask for yourself, in your looks, comments, and mannerisms. We are fighting for you to have equal standing in society. Continue that fight respectfully, but never back down. You are a powerful woman

Love you,

Your future mom (whether "real" or just in heart)