Album Review: Ben Platt's 'Sing To Me Instead'

If you're a fan of him from Pitch Perfect or Dear Evan Hansen, you should definitely check out his amazing album!

360

Ben Platt has been one of my favorite singers since I first saw him as Benji in "Pitch Perfect". And then I fell in love with him even more after becoming a huge fan of the musical "Dear Evan Hansen", where he played the lead role.

So when he announced he was coming out with an entire album, I freaked out of course. His voice has always put me in a better and calmer mood. It is just so pleasing to listen to, not to mention just beautiful.

His new album, titled, "Sing To Me Instead," was released at the end of March this year. It has 12 songs, all of which I can sum into two words that describe my feelings towards this album: tragically beautiful.

I only say "tragic" because his voice contains so much emotion, and so many of his songs deal with things such as loss of love, anxiety, toxic relationships that you can't get out of, growing older, and just being there for the people that you love, no matter how difficult it may be. It's so hard to pick favorites, but I'm just going to mention my top five from the album, in no particular order.

One of my top songs is "Ease My Mind". This was one that Platt released a few weeks before the album, and I fell in love instantly. It's a song about how someone you love can calm you down, no matter how stressed or anxious you are. The way this song deals with anxiety and having someone help him through it will always make it one of my tops songs.

I also want to cry when I hear "In Case You Don't Live Forever". This seems like it would be such a beautiful wedding song, despite the fact that it's actually pretty sad, considering it's saying how life is short, so let me tell you exactly how much I love you. It's just so sweet and sad.

I relate way too much to his song "Older", where the memorable quote from the chorus is: "When you are younger, you wish you were older. And when you're older, you wish for time to turn around." This quote encapsulates what it means to be growing up. We all want to be on our own and grown up, but when we actually reach here, we realize how much we took our history and our childhood for granted, but by the time we realize it, it's too late.

I also have to talk about "Grow As We Go". This song explains one person in a relationship wanting to find themselves, and feeling like they can't be in a relationship while they do that. The lyrics explain how they don't need to leave and be alone to find themselves, that they can grow together, through all the twists and turns that life will throw at them. It's another one of those songs that is just so sweet that you have to love it.

My last of my top five from this album is "Bad Habit". This was the first song that Ben Platt released after his announcement of his album, and I fell in love instantly. Not only is it just so calming to listen to, but it talks about how sometimes people need to lean on other people around them when they are feeling down or lonely, and how it can be a bad habit to lean on someone else when you're down as opposed to just relying on yourself to feel better.

Those are just my top five from this album, mainly because of the meaning or story behind them. However, this entire album is beautiful. Each song contains a different emotion, a different view of a situation that life throws at so many of us. He sings through the struggles of growing up and falling in love.

Ben Platt is just so talented. He knows exactly what he is trying to say, and besides the lyrics themselves were beautiful, when he sings them, he puts the emotion in them so that they aren't just words, they're a story.