Adjusting to the college life

Adjusting to the college life

What's All This Talk About College?

39
Adjusting to the college life
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/12/6364077837579594291865088895_IMG_4318.JPG

For some students, you now have more freedom than you’re used to. To all first-year college scholars here are the Do’s and Don’ts about college. Know that adjusting may be a difficult or easy task for some. Acknowledging the fact that you can chose your schedule, stay out as late as you want, party whenever, among other amenities that come along with starting college.

Many of you may be staying on campus where you have a dining hall inside or near your housing facility. This is something to be careful of. Eating just because, isn’t a great idea. This is because of our little friend “Freshman 15”. Starting your first year of college can be stressful. Which leads to excess eating, which isn’t a positive thing to do. However, you’re not doomed there are ways to ensure that you don’t gain weight throughout college. Working out can be a challenging goal for some. So, ask your friends to workout with you. This gives support for finishing workouts, and going to the gym. Taking the steps instead of the elevator will benefit you as well. If you have too many flights to go up or down, then walk half and take the elevator for the remaining floors if necessary. Practice healthy eating habits, by making sure you’re eating the correct portions and including your greens in your daily diet.

You’ve graduated high school and you’re on to a new life. This comes along with meeting new people and even lifelong friends. When making, friendships be yourself. “Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.” For those of you staying on campus use that to your advantage. Your dorm mates and neighbors are a great place to start. Involving yourself with extracurricular activities, will allow you to meet people with the same interests as you. Another place to meet friends would be the dining hall, and in your classes. Don’t be afraid to say hello, or even ask what’s their major to spark up a conversation.

Studying can be difficult for some students. Which is why it’s important to find the place, time, and study style perfect for you. Starting with your study space. It is imperative that you alternate your study areas. Giving you an opportunity to recall that environment when taking a test. Cognitive scientist has found that varying your environment while studying benefits you to retain knowledge. Start studying in groups with others. Remember those classmates you met in class? Well this is the perfect time to bond through a study session. Another helpful study tip is making flash cards. Flashcards allow you to test your memory without giving you the entire answer as a book would. Test your knowledge, throughout your study time. Consistent testing can help you to relearn the information, and pays off in the long run. After class, you should review your notes that way you retain the information you just learned. Don’t forget to sleep! Staying up the night before an exam isn’t healthy, and you need your rest.

Managing all that free time can be difficult. Which is why having time management is important. Utilizing all your technology, and supplies to help you is a smart way to handle this. For example, I used the alarm feature on my smart phone to wake me up, remind me when I have class, among other duties. I create scheduled lists with the tasks that I must do for the week. This includes resting time, eating, when I need to meet with my professor, when I should read assignments, even when to call my family. Hey! Don’t, judge sometimes my week is so hectic that I must schedule time to call those who are close to me.

There are many obstacles that come with adjusting to college, especially for freshman. Take your time and don’t beat yourself up. I know we all strive for good grades and high GPA’s, but it’s okay to take some time to relax. Take a walk in the park, read a book, eat with a friend. Whatever you must do to keep your mind balanced. Although you’re looking to get your degree, it’s still important to do things outside of the classroom. So, enjoy college, network, and be the best you can be!