6 Activities To Keep You From Going Stir Crazy During The Crisis

You may be stuck inside but here are a few ideas on how to spend your time.

44
https://unsplash.com/photos/PhA2QbE7h6c

If you're like me, doing a whole lot of nothing sounds great in theory, but is actually quite difficult in practice. Being stuck inside with little to do usually makes for a perfect day, but when my Monday's turn into Tuesday's turn into Saturday's with a whole lot of time blurring together and with not much accomplished...I tend to feel unaccomplished and slightly insane. Personally I am still working on finding constructive ways to spend my time, but I thought sharing these ideas might help others with a similar outlook.

Read a book.

Honestly, this is my answer for nearly everything and yet I have not gotten back into reading myself quite yet. I used to enjoy reading for hours on end, but in the last few years I haven't been great about keeping up with reading for fun. I barely read for my classes, why should I put more stress on my brain? Well...it's a great way to pass time, it is a "mindless" activity that still actually works your brain, and if you're like me you'll love being transported into another world for at least a little while, especially with everything else going on in the world and our lives right now.

My plan is by "graduation" to have read at least 2-3 books for fun, outside of my class readings.

Play a game.

This is incredibly vague, and I did that for a reason. You can play with a small group of people–family, roommates, CDC-recommended-sized group of friends–or on your own, depending on the nature of the game. There's cards, board games, puzzles, video games, phone apps, and much more. Personally, I have a few games that I play from time to time that might just occupy me during these tough times. I have a few apps on my phone like Candy Crush, Bubble Cloud, and Wordscapes, to name a few. I also have really been into Sims Freeplay on my iPad! If you have a Nintendo Switch–I don't, but both my boyfriend and my siblings do, so depending on where I am I usually have access!–I definitely suggest games like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Clean your room.

Or apartment or bathroom or house. Cleaning is calming! Since it is spring, there's no better time to start on your spring cleaning! I am back on campus at my apartment, so slowly getting it ready for move out in late May is a great way to chip away at my time. This process is in general cathartic, so I definitely recommend rearranging or organizing your space to help with a refresh which can then be translate elsewhere, like in your personal or academic life. While you're at it, clean out your phone. It always makes me feel good to go through and delete old pictures I no longer want or things I've screenshot and no longer need.

Talk to friends/family.

Again, this can have its limits due to recommendations by the CDC and other governing bodies, but in this day and age we have so many ways to stay connected with loved ones. Snapchat, Facebook, text messaging, FaceTime, phone calls, Twitter, and so much more. I love FaceTiming friends and family members on a regular basis, so it is especially helpful to be able to call them up when I'm feeling lonely or bored being myself.

Get crafty.

This is probably something only people who consider themselves somewhat creative would enjoy, but I seriously think being crafty is a great way to spend your time. You don't necessarily have to be with others, which is nice, but it is also chock-full of ways to do things in a group. Whether it's painting a canvas or tie dyeing shirts, being creative can be so much fun. It doesn't have to be perfect and you can do whatever you want with it. Make a gift for a friend. Bring your room to life with new decor.

The possibilities are endless.

Binge watch movies or tv shows.

This is a given...in fact it's probably everyone's current go-to. Have any movies you've been wanting to see or rewatch? Need to catch up on that TV show you're several episodes–or even seasons–behind on? Go for it. Since there are so many streaming services available today for relatively cheap, it's pretty easy to find something you like or could be interested in. Personally, I have a habit of rewatching shows I've seen several times, so I am going to try to use this time to catch up on the things I haven't seen yet. Currently, Graham and I are watching Locke & Key. On my own I am watching the latest season of Greenhouse Academy, and I just finished Jane the Virgin. All are available on Netflix.