How to Keep Your New Years Resolutions

How To Actually Accomplish Your New Year's Resolutions In 2019

Most of us start strong, a few a us keep the momentum going until mid-year, but very few of us see our goals all the way through the entire year. If only we knew the secret formula to reaching our goals. Well now, you do!

8
One of the many reasons why we don't accomplish the goals that we intend to achieve in the New Year is because they are not attainable. If you've had terrible money management skills for your whole life, you're probably not going to be able to save $10,000. So why is that your goal? Just because you want to do something doesn't mean that making it your goal means that you're one step closer to achieving it. Continuing with the example of saving $10,000, I'm sure most people would love for their savings to be that plush. However, without establishing the precursor - which would be good money management skills - how would that come to fruition? The answer is- it wouldn't.

While this seems rather obvious, many people set these lofty, unattainable goals that are bound for disappointment, and in turn decrease their resolve to affect change in their lives. The way to solve this is to think in terms of "what practices can I establish that would lead me closer to accomplishing my bigger goal." This is where the practice of good money management comes in. Honing your money management skills would ultimately lead to better saving practices, which then would open the possibility for saving $10,000. This applies to many areas of goal setting, whether it's in the home, with relationships, with finances, or personal development. Establishing practices is a significant step in accomplishing the overarching goals.

Also, goals should be exciting! We can often fall the monotonous wagon very easily when we feel detached from our goals. All goals you should set for yourself should be goals that would make you very enthused to reach. If your overarching goal is to be more social, yet the arts really excite you, maybe sign up for a group museum tour or a painting class where you can meet new people while challenging yourself (and enjoying it!).

Lastly, perhaps the most important way to accomplish your goals is to create a list of actionable steps that lead to you to that ultimate goal, if not all the way, then a bit closer than you were before. These steps should have timelines that are realistic for you. If you know you're busy but your goal is to lose 25 pounds by the summer, an actionable step would be to go to the gym for an hour, three times a week for three months. For these actionable steps, you should think in the short term, such as in the next 3-6 months. Your larger attainable goals should be geared towards the long-term, such as in the next 2+ years.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that all the goals and aspirations you have are possible. It's just a matter of creating your own guide, your own roadmap of actionable steps to lead you to accomplish them.