Abroad Mood: I Miss Home But I Can't Imagine Leaving

I've now been abroad for almost 9 weeks. I'm at the point where I'm really missing my friends and family at home, but could stay in London forever.

21
My Photo

I can't believe I've been living in London for almost two months. Reflecting over my time here, I feel in that weird in-between where the time is going by so fast, but it feels like my first day here was a lifetime ago.

Nearing the halfway point is bittersweet for a number of reasons. The biggest being I'm excited to see my family and friends at home. This will for sure be the longest that I've ever been away from home. I always sneak in a weekend or two trips back to Minnesota whenever I'm in Madison, but that is just not possible being in London. I wish I could give my parents, dog, and besties at home and school the biggest hug. But I will get to see them in 2 months which is exciting.

However, while I'm excited to be reunited with the people that mean the world to me, I don't want this adventure to be over. I know its cheesy to say that being abroad has changed me but I really feel that it has. I have gained such independence and have learned so much living in a new city and traveling to foreign places on my own. I don't want this experience to have to come to an end, but it is comforting knowing I'll have all these memories to remind me of this experience. I am also so thankful for all the people I've met while abroad, I don't want to have to leave them. I want to keep going on trips and exploring London with all the new friends I've met.

I am normally such a homebody but living in London has made me want to go out and explore. I want to try and pack as much into the four months I can. I wish I could bring everything at home overseas to London so I can have everything all in one place. I know it's not possible but I can dream. To have so much to miss and love at home and so many memorable experiences here, I can't do anything than be really thankful for this experience.

I'm sure I will get more homesick as the time goes on, but the feelings towards not wanting to leave will grow as well. That's the bittersweet thing about studying abroad. Cheers to more adventures and home I will see you soon!