About Your Home Friends

As freshman year ends, and the next three months of summer are upon us, it is time to say goodbye to the friends we refer to as family and pack up to return to a world of distant memories. For some, returning home could not come soon enough. But for others, driving back through the streets where you had your first kiss or passing the mall that you hung out as a "cool" eighth-grader is a daunting thought.

The idea of seeing people you haven't spoken to since your after-prom beach party wracks nerves in your stomach. How has everyone changed? Will our friendships pick up from where we left off?

When I returned home, I was nervous that everyone had changed and that our college memories had become our new memories, replacing our old habits and shenanigans. To my surprise, this is not what I found.

Your home friends love you no matter what.

They are ALWAYS excited to see you. Especially after finals and after not seeing them since Christmas break.

Your old memories have NEVER been replaced, they have just expanded. Now, mixed in with the old high school football pictures are the new sorority pictures you have to show your friends. You just know they will love your sisters.

They listen to your stories.

And maybe you even have the same one. Which makes you love them even more.

Who else will you have fun nights back home post-freshman year? They are always down for a movie night or a shopping day. They are also always ready for senior week round two.

Maybe you all grew up, but you managed to grow together. Freshman year may have taught you a lot of things, but it also made you appreciate your friends from home as well.

Besides, who else understands that leaving college for the summer means leaving behind your friends and also means coming home?

At the end of freshman year, your home friends are there. They are ready to make new memories and are always there for you. It's almost as if you never left home.