A Look at How to Teach Children about Measuring

There are many different ways to teach children about the measuring system, and this guide will help you find the right one for your child.

25
Teach Children about Measuring

As children get older, they increasingly need to know about counting and measuring. This is especially true in today’s society. Many children are struggling with numbers and concepts such as quantity and quality. It can be difficult for them to understand how numbers work, and it can be even more difficult to learn about the correct way to measure things. There are many different ways to teach children about the measuring system, and this guide will help you find the right one for your child.

Start with Cards

One of the most common ways to teach children about the measuring system is to use cards. These are often called “measuring sticks,” and they can be purchased online or at retail stores. They are simple strips of wood that have numbers on them. There is one side for measuring length, width, height, weight, and many other things.

Show Them with Cookie Dough

Another way to teach children is by measuring out ingredients when baking cookies or cakes using mearing cups and spoons. This is a literal example of how you would use a measuring stick in real life, so it will help them better understand how the system works.

Use Toys or Dolls

Another way to help children understand is by using toys, dolls, or stuffed animals. Give them these items and have them measure their height against the doll’s height, for example. This will give them an accurate perspective of how big they are compared to something else, which can help with future reference.

Use a String to Measure the Circumference of an Apple or Other Round Objects

Another exciting way to teach children the measuring system is by using a string to measure how big something is. For example, take an apple and tie it to the end of a piece of string. Have your child use their hands as a measuring unit and see how many hands wide the apple is. Most items can be measured this way with fingers or palms, and it’s a great way to ease them into the system.

Use a Ruler to Measure Distance

Another way to teach children the measuring system is by using simple rulers. Lay rulers next to items that they can easily understand. If you place a ruler next to a book, they will see how long it is. This can be very eye-opening for children trying to learn about measurement.

Let Them Estimate the Height of Trees or Buildings

Another great way to teach children about measurement is by having them estimate things. Give them a problem such as “How tall do you think this tree is?” and let them give you a guess. You can then compare their guesses to the correct answer, and it can be very eye-opening for them.

Let Them Measure Things Using a Balance Scale

Another fun way to teach children the measurement system is by using a balance scale. Have them put a toy or item on each side and see which one weighs more. If you have two things that weigh the same, have your child describe what they think may be wrong with one of them

Measure by Foot

Another way to teach children about measurement is by using feet. If you go on a long hike, take measurements of the trail along the way. Have your child find something they can measure by foot, such as sticks or rocks, and see how many steps there are in the distance covered so far. This will be very interesting for them because the scale of feet is much more manageable for children.