A Letter To Young Women, Use Your Voice And You Will Be Heard

Don't listen to the people who just want to be you.

86
Amy Dixon

Go for it girl. Anything that you want to do, just go do it! I can't stress it enough. Go speak up for yourself, go tell that other girl that you love her blonde hair curled like that, that you love her dark maroon nail color, that you're in love with her dark blue jean skirt, white vintage tee, and bright yellow converse. Life is way to short to let your opinion go unheard.

Speak your mind when you're in class having a debate when you're walking through the mall, or even if you're walking through the park. If someone says something about you that you don't like, tell them that and if they try to fight back, you need to be the bigger person. Handle it the appropriate way and stay calm. You were just invited to go hang out for a small get together at your friend's house for a fire or birthday celebration for someone. You need to go, even if you don't want to go, you're going to regret it so much. The memories you'll create with the people you love are going to last a lifetime. Trust me. If you have a bad relationship with someone, fix it. Later in life, you're going to want that person there and I'm sure they want you just as bad. They want you to go through life together with them just as much as you do.

Again, trust me. If your favorite song is something from the sixties like "don't let me down" by the Beatles, or a more modern country song like "Written in the Sand" by Old Dominion, or even "Goosebumps" by Travis Scott, I want you to scream it from the rooftops. Let everyone know that you love that type of music and that's what makes you, you. Don't change for anyone you've met or who you're eventually going to meet. You are you and don't let anyone ever try and take your spark away!

I wish I knew how many opportunities I had when I was younger as I do now. I want you to become involved in your high school or college clubs. Join the drama club and love being on stage performing in front of everybody, join your chess club and learn how to play a strong mental game, join your outing club to go hiking and kayaking, or even create your own club. Be a leader and not a follower. The strongest woman you know and love, think of her and strive to be just like her. You are the trendsetter that others around you are too scared to be. Stand out. People are going to be scared of your confidence and try to knock you down but don't listen to them. They're just jealous that they can't be you.

That cute boy that you've had your eye for a few months or even years? Go talk to him and get to know him. Who knows, maybe you guys could be the perfect match or maybe it's not meant to be. You'll never know if you don't try! Surround yourself with the most positive yet truthful people. The friends you do have are all going to have their own little quirks. One friend, you can tell everything and anything to, but then there's another friend that you don't tell everything too. That's okay. You know your limit with certain individuals. You're smart enough to know what they are capable of. You're going to meet people who will treat you better than people that you've known all your life. You just have to accept the fact that they're not going to change. You're going to experience rejection by many many many people but that's okay too.

I just need you to persevere and keep going. Don't stop just because of one person. That's not who you are. Continue to be yourself and do what you want to do with your life. I believe in you.