a democrat's goodbye to john mccain
Politics

A Democrat's Goodbye To John McCain

A man who defined honor and integrity.

233
A Democrat's Goodbye To John McCain
https://pixabay.com/en/politics-gop-point-flag-usa-2679002/

I was first exposed to John McCain during the 2008 presidential election, during which I knew little about politics or political parties. As the years went by and my knowledge of the government grew, my respect for him grew as well. I knew I was a Democrat, having found my beliefs mostly in accordance with the party's platform, but I also knew that I admired John McCain. I admired his stringent devotion to campaign finance reform, his dedication to his country during the trying times of war, and more recently, his capability to diverge from party lines, to choose party over country.

I did not agree with his stances on a number of issues. But I had, and still have, deep respect for him. I heard stories of his time as a prisoner of war, when he refused preferential treatment that could have given him early release, choosing to remain loyal to his fellow soldiers. I heard stories of his brutal torture by his captors, as he was held hostage for years upon years. He was a war hero, an American hero, a man of honor. Even after he left the army, he continued to serve his country by being elected into the government. His devotion to the country had no constraints.

I respected him in the present day when he went against party lines to vote against the measure to end Obamacare, an action he did more to disavow blind partisanship than to showcase ideology. He fought for his beliefs, but not if they went against the well-being of the country.

He was not a perfect man, but he was an honorable patriot. His death will leave a hole in the hearts of many citizens, myself included. My heart hurt when I read headlines proclaiming he would cease treatment against his cancer, and hurt even more when less than days later, his death was announced. His honor and patriotism and conviction showed no bounds, and it will remain examples of what a politician should be for decades to come.

Rest in peace, Mr. McCain. You will be missed. For all that you've done for your country and home, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Rest in peace.