A Degree In Architecture

A Degree In Architecture

How it’s changing with the times.

19
A Degree In Architecture
https://unsplash.com/photos/yJJ1tPOxFf4

At those who raised their hands with the intent of attending Graduate school, I was surprised to see a nearly even split in hands up, and hands down. The action was vague, but my curiosity at this result was heightened. If not pursuing licensure, what are the alternative goals of architecture students? Where are they going, and what are they making of their degree?

Many notable figures pursued Architecture before practicing careers in music or film. Three members of the renowned band Pink Floyd attended school for Architecture before pursing music, and Samual L. Jackson studied Architecture before committing to his acting career. Though there is a direct correlation in fields of design or artistic expression and Architecture, there are fields that at first glance appear unrelated, that many people go into as well.

Entrepreneurship, Marketing, and Politics all seem unassociated, but actually tie to the teachings of Architecture in subtle, but effective ways. From the extensive experience Architecture programs give students in problem solving, that skill alone becomes easily transferrable to the obstacles that can come with starting your own business.

When comparing Marketing and Politics, they both take similar teachings from the studies of Architecture. The skills acquired from considering the perspectives of other people and the way they interact with, and move through a space, transfers to considering the ways in which people will respond to marketing material, or to proposals and approaches as a politician. Anders Adlercreutz, who is a member of the Finnish parliament, actually studied Architecture before pursuing Politics, using his experience as advantageous tools in his altered career path.

A degree in Architecture is considered one of the broadest you can pursue; career opportunities following school are essentially endless. Going into an Undergraduate degree in Architecture, there is a palpable assumption amongst faculty that all who are there plan on working in the field, when in reality, Architecture is only one of many potential paths. Versatility, curiosity, and creativity are the lifeline behind this field of study, and its reality of inclusiveness will change Architecture programs across the nation once truly realized.