9 Things That Annoy Puerto Ricans In The U.S

We just wanted to let you know a few things.

2311
Huffington Post

Puerto Rico is one of the best islands in the world, containing some of the most beautiful beaches and people worldwide. Sad thing is, it is so small, that not many people know about it. It's no secret that because of the many governmental issues there are right now, a lot of "Boricuas" have fled to the United States for something better, yet, for some of us, nothing could ever be better than our little island. Home is where the heart is, and even though our bodies leave the island, our hearts will always be at the beach. Now, as a proud Puerto Rican away from home, there are a few things that get us angry about the disbelief and (certain) ignorance from the people we meet on a daily basis.

1. "You have ________ there?"

Fun fact: Even though Puerto Rico is not a state, it is an unincorporated United States Territory. So, yes, we do have McDonald's.

2. "Do you drive there?"

Whether they ask if we can drive to Puerto Rico, or if we actually have cars there, it is the same level of irritating. No, you can't drive TO Puerto Rico. You can try, but it is very likely that you will drown, considering the fact that Puerto Rico is an island, in the middle of the ocean.

And as I said before, we are a United States territory. So, yes, we do drive cars.

3. We are not Mexican.

Common misconception people tend to have: the fact that we are Latinos, does not immediately mean we are Mexican. Puerto Rico is not part of South America, nor does it lie in or extremely close to Mexico. So, when we say we miss our food, do not tell us to go to Taco Bell.

4. We do not speak "Puerto Rican"

The fact that Spanish people speak Spanish, does not imply that all Spanish Speaking countries have their own language as well. There are over 25 Spanish speaking countries around the world. We speak Spanish, yet there are different types of Spanish. The fact that the Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico is a little different from the Spanish they would speak in Costa Rica or Guatemala, does not make it any less Spanish. So no, do not ask us if we speak "Puerto Rican".

5. "Aren't you hot in that hoodie?"

Before asking this to a Puerto Rican, consider the fact that "cold" in Puerto Rico, is usually 80 degrees, 60 if you live in the North. When we come to the United States and it gets to 40 degrees, we are freezing and wondering: "Aren't you cold in those shorts?"

6. You not even knowing what Puerto Rico is.

The fact that we left, does not make us any less proud to be a "Boricua". When we talk about our island, we expect everyone to know the words to "La Borinqueña" and to have eaten mofongo.

7. When you confuse our flag.

This is a CUBAN flag.

This is the PUERTO RICAN flag.

It even dances salsa, the flag has the same rhythm Boricuas do.

8. When you have not tried our food.

This does not really affect Puerto Ricans, it mostly affects the people who have not tried it.

9. ...The only thing that could anger us is if you try to compare it with any other food or confuse it with food from another country.

"What's your favorite Puerto Rican dish?"

Tamales.

I guess, being a Puerto Rican myself, you could consider me a little biased toward it. However, ask anyone who has visited it, Puerto Rico is amazing. With our constant celebrating over any little thing, and our warm, sandy beaches, combined with our great food, Puerto Rico could possibly be one the best islands there is. Even though governmental issues have caused many "Boricuas" to abandon their home, and a lot of people believe it is in "trouble', we have the tendency to always look at the bright side of things. Those who left, still carry Puerto Rico in their heart and know that nothing could ever compare to the familiarity and comfort of home. Those who stay, enjoy every little thing they can. For those who stay, word of advice: Never take anything for granted. "You don't know what you have until you lose it. Believe me.

We don't expect everyone to know every detail of Puerto Rico, just like other Americans, (yes, we are American as well), don't expect us to know every city in every state. Stil, knowledge is power and the more we know of the world, the more cult we become.

From Your Site Articles