9 Reasons Why Hometown Friends are the Best Friends

They've been there for you from the very start. Through all of your ups and downs they stayed right by your side. They're your hometown friends and some of your best friends.

16

Even though we haven't seen them in what seems like years after being away at college, it's finally summer, and we have some time to spend with our best friends.

I know what you're about to say: "Wait, what? But my best friend lives three hours away!" We aren't talking about the person two doors down from you in your dorm; we mean your hometown friends, and here are a few reasons why.

1. They were your first friends back in elementary school.

Your mom made you carry around that embarrassing Barbie lunch box, and they were the only ones brave enough to invite you to sit with them at lunch, and play tag at recess. Basically, they saved you from a lifetime of humiliation and isolation.

2. They were there through all the extremely awkward middle school days.

You look back on the way you dressed, styled your hair, and the things you did and think, "wow, what was wrong with me?" While they didn't really know what was, your hometown friends were always there regardless.

3. MySpace.

That one word says it all: Myspace. The era of embarrassing pictures. Yes, they saw them all, They've been there for all the status updates and even stuck with you when you moved them to a different spot on your "Top Friends."

4. They were there though all the high school relationships and friendships that didn't last.

It's life. People walk in and out of it ALL of the time. Yet, they are the select few who have stood by your side through it all, and you really can't thank them enough for that.

5. You've all experienced dodging the wrath of your parents many, many times.

From missing curfew to sneaking out, with the help of your hometown friends, you managed to dodge the life-ending punishments of your parents.

6. You can go months without talking, but the minute something scandalous or upsetting happens, you HAVE to tell them.

You might find out the person you had the biggest crush on in seventh grade is now a hard- core criminal, or that your great-aunt Mary has unfortunately passed away. Regardless of the situation, they are the only people who will understand what you're talking about, so of course they're the first people you have to tell.

7. Your hometown sucks, and they are the only ones who really understand you when you say that.

They've grown up there too, so when you can't find anything do to for the day but complain about how awful your town is, they are right there and more than willing to complain by your side while you do nothing about it.

8. They know you better than you know yourself.

They've seen you at your best and at your worst. They know about that embarrassing incident you had as a kid, they can tell when something is bothering you even when you don't say anything at all, and they know all of the little details about you that would take years to tell anybody else.

9. After all these years, they're still by your side.

Even after being away at college, you know you are coming home to a support system that is just as good, if not better, than the one at your school. And that's a pretty great thing to have.