9 Things You'll Notice When You Move From A Big City To A Small Town

Every boy has a picture of a dead animal on their Tinder profile.

114
Sebastian Voortman

This summer I moved from my large college city on the east coast to a small town in the midwest for an internship. Safe to say, this has been the weirdest but most exciting move I have made so far. There are a lot of noticeable differences between living in a small town and a big city.

1. Everyone you pass is going to say "hi" to you.

In the city, you don’t acknowledge anyone walking past you. In a small town, everyone exchanges "hellos" even when just passing by. If they've got time, it will turn into a full-on conversation about your life story.

2. People are going to comment on your accent.

You can tell a city slicker by the way they talk.

3. Everything happens slower.

People talk slower, walk slower, and drive slower. If you’re used to the city, this is going to get infuriating.

4. People ask you about how “dangerous” your old city is.

In a place where people don’t always lock their doors, hearing anything about a crime is a scandal. If you tell them that story about how your neighbor’s apartment was broken into, they’re going to think you’re way tougher than you actually are.

5. Your new town might have some weird superstition or supernatural monster.

But, don’t say it’s weird. For the most part, locals think it’s a good story to tell newbies, but some may still believe.

6. Every guy has a picture of a dead animal on their Tinder profile.

*takes a shot every time you see a fish or deer* *dies*

7. Even if you don't know their name, they'll know yours.

Word travels fast in a small town, and soon everyone is going to know about you. Luckily, for the most part, people are just excited to meet someone new and welcome them to their town.

8. Everyone is way friendlier.

Within the first week of moving in, a stranger offered to loan me a mattress because they knew the one in my dorm was absolute trash. Even if you've just met them, they would offer you whatever they can just to make your life a little easier.

9. It's not that much different.

Culturally there may be some big changes, but when you get down to it, people are people. You're not much different than your new neighbors, and you'll be falling into their same patterns before you know it.

Moving from a big city to a small town can take some getting used to, but in the end, you're going to be glad you made the move, even if it's just for the summer.