8 Transgender Actresses That Should Be Cast Over Matt Bomer

Newsflash: Matt Bomer is NOT a Transwoman

700
Wikipedia

The pandemic of transgender actors being pushed out of their own stories is a tale as old as time. In the past three years alone, Hollywood has claimed to headline transgender stories while literally cutting the community out as a whole. From Jared Leto in "Dallas Buyers Club" to Eddie Redmayne in "The Danish Girl" -- Hollywood has had a well worn tradition of cutting transgender performers completely out of the window of opportunity. Allowing not only the unemployment of many incredible performers, but perpetuating the very crude (and inaccurate) ideal that being transgender is equated to a "performance," as opposed to its reality. Heavily rewarding such inauthenticity with high pay grades and a statue with their names on it, while many REAL people are suffering at the hands of this warped ideology as it feeds into the violence against the transgender community.

Not to mention the deplorable new Michelle Rodriguez film, "(Re)assignment" which does nothing but incite an automatic gag reflex. Not only is a CIS-woman who has been very openly cited in making degrading and cruel comments about transitioning and transgender people playing a TRANSwoman, the film itself is fraught with transphobic storytelling. Using transition as a "cruel punishment" in order to carry a gassed up, "hitman story" is not only sickening and offensive, but calls into question how on Earth this movie was even allowed into a production stage in the first place.

Hollywood has taken many blows at the community they claim to be so "accepting" of.

So, in response, I've decided that if Hollywood claims they want to tell transgender -- namely transwomen -- stories "so badly" -- I might as well do the research they seem so incapable of doing... FOR them.

So here goes...

Dear Hollywood,

Since you seem to not know any performers capable of telling transwomen's stories, besides "pretty" cisgender males like Matt Bomer ...

Here is a list of EIGHT very talented transgender actresses that would be more than willing to give authentic and pure performances. Giving REAL stories to a whole community of people you have seemingly SQUASHED.

You're welcome.

1. Michelle Hendley

Winner of three FilmOut awards -- including that of Best Actress and Outstanding Emerging Talent -- in her incredible breakout role as Ricky Jones in "Boy Meets Girl."

2. Laverne Cox

Most recognizable for her prison chic persona, Sophia Burset, from "Orange Is The New Black", Laverne is a huge rising talent to reckon with. Getting ready to grace primetime television screens this season as Frank-n-Furter, in Fox's remake of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" -- she has been nominated for best supporting actress at not only the Emmys, but the Critic's Choice and the Gold Derby Awards as well. Not to mention the countless awards she's already won from that of the Daytime Emmys, GALECA, GLAAD Media, Massachusetts Independent Film Festival, and the Screen Actors Guild for her variety of performances.

3. Jamie Clayton

Taking the world by storm in her portrayal of Nomi Marks in "Sense8", Jamie has a growing list of credits to her name. With both a new pre-production series pilot ready to take off as well as the post production film, "The Snowman" awaiting release ... Jamie Clayton is no doubt going to become a common household name.

4. Erika Ervin

Known not only for her turn as an actress, Erika is also well known for her work as an American model and fitness trainer. With recurring roles in two smash hit horror series -- FX's "American Horror Story" and Netflix's "Hemlock Grove" -- she has showed off some incredible acting chops.

5. Trace Lysette

Most recognizable for her role as Shea in the series, "Transparent" -- Trace has also taken on major credits in both "Blunt Talk" and "The Curse Of The Fuentes Women."

6. Hari Nef

Talents ranging all along the creative scale -- Hari is an American actress, model, AND writer. Best known for her roles in "Transparent", "Family Tree", and "Hellaware", she is currently involved in a short film project called "Crush" which is making its way through the post-production process as we speak.

7. Angelica Ross

Serving as one of the two main leads in the absolutely groundbreaking series, "Her Story," Angelica has been bringing to light a story that revolves around the very human women in queer communities, and how they navigate the intersections of label identity and love.

8. Jen Richards

Not only the star, but also the writer and producer behind "Her Story" -- Jen has worked tirelessly to tell transwomen's stories. Shedding light on the community as a whole through the lens of filmmaking and art form. She also holds acting credits in the film, "Easy Living" due out in 2017 and a post production short film, "Swim" -- which tells the story of personal freedom for a young trans girl, Nicky, in a secret midnight swim.

... And if you can believe it Hollywood, this isn't even a quarter of the talent that is out there -- whether discovered or undiscovered. These are the artists you should be hiring to tell these stories. Inspired performers that care about telling a story. Transwomen that deserve to have their stories told by THEM.