Eight Reasons Anyone Would Be Lucky To Call Boston Home

“For those who are lost, there will always be cities that feel like home.”

14
Captain Kimo

Where I’m from, people have such pride in their city, butI've never been able to relate. This sense of belonging is something I craved so I started looking into places to move to after I finished college. After one trip, Boston caught my eye- and my heart. Although I’ve only been there once, it already feels like home. Here’s just a few of the reasons that Boston is wicked awesome.

8. Talent

Talent isn’t hard to find in Boston. Amy Poehler, Matt Damon, Chris Evans, Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Mark Wahlberg, Uzo Aduba, Areosmith and Pixies are only a few of the amazingly talented people and groups from Boston and the surrounding areas.3

7. Sports

Although I’m not a sporty person, even I know that Boston has some great teams. By winning nine championships in 13 years, people argue that Boston's professional teams have had the most successful decade in sports history.

6. Weather

The temperature typically varies from 22°F to 82°F throughout the year. It gets warm enough to go to the beaches but cold enough to have a snowy winter; the best part is that there are four distinct seasons.

Not to mention that Boston has the most perfect fall weather. Seeing the fall foliage was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

5. Education

In 2013, a quarter of a million college students resided in Boston and Cambridge, making Boston America’s youngest major city and an international center of higher education.

About fifteen minutes outside of the city in Cambridge is Harvard University, the oldest university in the U.S. and one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

4. Geography

Outside of Boston, Massachusetts has very diverse landscapes. If you want to get away from the city for a while, there are a variety of beautiful beaches and mountains just a short drive from the city.

3.Equality

Massachusetts was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage in 2004 and is home to many LGBT groups. Boston is also known for legal cases promoting the end of segregation. Boston is in the top five most liberal cities throughout the U.S. and tends to advocate for individual rights and freedoms instead of more traditional values.

2. Culture

Boston has numerous art galleries and museums and is home to a wide array of music. There are several major events that occur annually, including the Boston Marathon, LGBT Pride parade, Harborfest, and the Boston Book Festival.

The food has a large emphasis on seafood and dairy products and its most well know dish is the New England clam chowder. Bostonians also have one of the most charming and recognizable accents in the country.

1. History

Established in 1630, Boston is one of the oldest cities in the United States and it is dripping with historical monuments and places. It holds the sites of the Boston Massacre, first battle of the American Revolution, Boston Harbor, Edgar Allan Poe’s birthplace and the Old State House (one of the oldest public buildings in the country).