8 Netflix Picks To Watch Instead Of Studying For Finals

Because entering April is not easy for any college student.

71

While spring break is behind us here at UC, for many other schools it may not be. However, that probably will not stop us at UC from binge watching our favorite (or new favorite) shows to escape the pain of doing homework, especially as final exam and paper season approaches. Here is my next round of Netflix picks for you all to spend your time studying (or procrastinating) with.

1. “Bates Motel”

Oh “Bates Motel.” You absolutely ruined my life in such a short time. Bates Motel is considered a modern prequel to the movie “Psycho” from 1960. The show follows Norma and Norman Bates as they move forward with their lives after the death of Sam Bates, Norma’s husband and Norman’s father. While they try to move forward with their lives, the show gives twists and turns with character development and plot. The show has a small but intricate cast to follow. With only ten episodes a season and the show ending in five short weeks, you will want to watch this. I got through four seasons in less than two weeks. I have no shame. Worth it.

2. “Bloodline”

This was another show I got through in a matter of two or three weeks. This show follows The Rayburn family and their dark secrets. Again, it’s a smaller cast, but there are so many turns throughout the show that make it good. I would not recommend binge-watching it, but savoring each episode, but if you want to binge watch this mysterious show, by all means go for it. I’m not going to stop you.

3. “Iron Fist”

While I have not gotten too far in this show, it’s the latest installment into the Netflix and Marvel collaboration. If it’s anything like “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” and “Luke Cage,” then we are in for a treat. The show starts a little slow, but it picks up. There have been mixed reviews, but I do not listen to reviews. It’s only 13 episodes, but they’re all an hour long. You could get through it in one day, but that’s really only if you do not have to be anywhere.

4. “The Originals”

With our friends in Mystic Falls departing from our screen, “The Originals” offers an excellent alternative. The first three seasons are on Netflix ready to watch. Some episodes are slower so you can study. I can’t get enough of the Mikaelson family and neither will you.

5. “Better Call Saul”

If you want a witty yet dramatic show, this might be right up your alley. With two seasons ready to go, you will burn through this show. “Breaking Bad” fans will remember Saul Goodman - formerly known as Jimmy McGill in “Better Call Saul” - as the criminal lawyer full of pop culture references and the one who keeps Walter and Jesse together even when they are at odds. This show helps us see the transformation of former mail worker Jimmy McGill into the beloved lawyer we come to know as Saul Goodman.

6. “Friends”

I will keep it real. I am only on the third season, but only because I am afraid to get back to binge watching this classic. “Friends” transformed the landscape of television and comedy for our generation. With relatable humor and cast chemistry, this show is certainly a gem and should be cherished. Each episode is only 20 minutes, making you feel accomplished after watching for an hour or two. Plus, who can’t relate to Joey in the above GIF?

7. “Breaking Bad”

My absolute (second) favorite show...next to “Supernatural” of course. “Breaking Bad” helped me survive college biology my senior year of high school which is equal to the 1081 class at UC. It’s only five seasons long, but the story is so captivating. You want to both root for and slap the taste out of the characters mouths at the same time. I would recommend especially for those in biology and chemistry as there is overlap between the two. The storytelling and characters alone make the show worthwhile.

8. “House of Cards”

What kind of political science student would I be if I did not mention this show anywhere and finals in the same breath? Now, I know what you’re thinking. “We have enough politics going on and we are divided.” I am not disagreeing with you, but “House of Cards” is too good not to watch. With four seasons to watch and a fifth on the way at the end of May, you can take your time with this Netflix classic. This show got me through many nights of paper writing and article writing. I’ll just leave it at that.

With some new show options for you all, I wish you luck on your impending doom known as final exam season. I am in the same boat so I understand completely how you feel. With numerous papers, projects, and assignments left, the end may not be here. However, you can make it easier with some good shows to watch to ease the suffering.