7 Ways to Save Money This Christmas

7 Ways to Save Money This Christmas

Don't break the bank this holiday season

7
7 Ways to Save Money This Christmas
International Business Times

Everyone loves the holidays, but not everyone is a fan of the holiday spending. It’s hard not to break the bank when you’re trying to find the best gifts for everyone in your circle. We all know those people whose tastes are way above our pay grade. As a college student, the struggle is real because all of my money is used for things like tuition, textbooks, and the occasional pizza delivery. Instead of emptying out your bank account, try out a few of these tips and see if you can save yourself some money this year.

1. Get crafty

Instead of buying that cute memory box on Etsy, why don’t you try making it yourself? It’s a lot cheaper than paying someone else to make it for you. Make a trip to your local craft store, buy the necessary materials, and spend your night being creative. Personalized wine glasses can be a fun project. You can even invite a few friends over and have a night where you all make gifts for each other.

2. Go in with someone else on a gift

Sharing the cost with another person will definitely lessen the load on your wallet. This usually works best when you’re buying a gift for a parent. Ask a sibling to help you out, and put both names on the card.

3. Do a secret santa/white elephant

Both of these gift games allow you to focus on buying for just one person instead of your entire family or friend group.

4. Regift

Have you ever been given something that you weren’t the biggest fan of? Or do you just have some things lying around that you’ve never used or that have never been opened? Don’t be afraid to regift! If you have a friend who’d appreciate that unopened food processor more than you, wrap it in wrapping paper and give it as a gift. They’ll enjoy it regardless of whether you bought it new.

5. Set a spending maximum

If the people in your group are equally as broke as you, why not set a cap on the amount of spending you can do? This way no one is expected to spend a $100 if they can’t afford it. And no one will feel bad for giving cheaper gifts instead of extravagant ones. Don’t worry about setting the bar too low. $20 dollars can go a long way if you’re savvy.

6. Spend your time instead of your money

Sometimes time spent together is worth a lot more than a gift could ever be. Take your mom to get a manicure. Go see a movie with your brother. Make dinner with your significant other. Just take time to talk and have fun. It’s too easy to forget that the holidays are about spending time with your loved ones when all we can think about is how we’re going to afford all the presents we’re supposed to buy this year.

7. Write a letter/card

Christmas is the perfect time to get sentimental! All you need is a card and a pen. If you’d like, you can splurge and get a card with a funny message or one that sings a christmas song. What’s important is what you write inside. A heartfelt message telling a friend you love them is worth a lot more than perfume or a wallet. The same could be said for a journal with a message written on the first page.

The holidays are more about the love you show than the money you spend. If you don’t want to spend a ton of money this season, don’t fret. Your friends and family will love you regardless of what you do or don’t spend. Just enjoy the winter break and drink some hot chocolate before it starts getting warm again. It’ll be 2017 before we know it.