7 Thoughts That Happen While You're Back To School Shopping

Folders, highlighters, and planners, oh my!

17
Katy ISD

Every year, there's the same routine. You're just going to Wal-Mart for something small and then you see it: the school supplies are being displayed. Sometimes you just need a few notebooks and some pens, and sometimes you have to furnish a whole dorm room. No matter what you have to buy, there are certain thoughts that cross your mind as you're preparing to get back to school.

1. Wait, why are school supplies out?

Stores seem to start putting out their back to school stuff earlier and earlier, making summer feel even more rushed than it already is. School just got out, how is it already time to go back? It was the end of May like yesterday.

2. Do I really need this?

A lot of the time, the answer will be "no," but that won't necessarily stop you from buying it. Maybe it's just so cute that you can't resist. Or, maybe you're like me and you start thinking of hypothetical situations where you'll just definitely need whatever that item is. Sure, those hypothetical situations may never happen, but it helps justify spending the money.

3. THIS IS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

Whether it's a dress that fits you just right, a lamp or shoes, you find yourself falling in love and telling yourself that your whole life will be in place if you buy it. Sometimes your mind goes back to #2, but more often than not you're in such a haze of love that you don't even really think about it.

4. That's a really good sale. Better just stock up now.

No matter if you really need 15 notebooks, the sale is just too good. My mom didn't raise me to pass up on a good sale, so I can't let her down. Don't mind me as I just empty the shelf. I'll use them all...eventually. Don't judge.

5. Wait... what did I come here to get?

After seeing some of the most perfect things that you didn't know you needed, you start to forget why you even came to the store in the first place. Such cute things are an awful distraction from what you actually needed.

6. This is gonna be the year when I finally get my life together

You stock up on Post-It notes, a nice planner, multi-colored pens, cute folders, and a whole bunch of other supplies to show everyone how you're going to kill the game this year. All of those items just show how dedicated you are.

7. Shopping is tiring. I should treat myself

Whether it's ice cream, fries, or Starbucks, you definitely have to treat yourself. You walked up and down all of those aisles and tried on a whole bunch of clothes. Treat yourself.